Jun 21, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman spoke with the media Thursday and – surprise, surprise – Vancouver’s goaltending situation came up.
“Mike (Gillis) has entertained calls on both goaltenders…it falls into the category of ‘problems you don’t mind having’,” Gilman said, according to the Canucks official Twitter feed.
It shouldn’t come as a shock that Gilman specified that teams have inquired about Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider. After all, Schneider is younger and not tied down to a dangerously long-term contract. Of course, that’s also why most people assume that if Vancouver is going to trade anyone, it’ll be Luongo.
Over the last couple of weeks, the market value for Luongo has probably climbed. Tomas Vokoun, Josh Harding, and Anders Lindback are all off the market. At this point, the most appealing potential unrestricted free agent is probably Scott Clemmensen and the list gets significantly less appealing after that.
At the same time, the wrinkle in the Canucks’ plans might be Schneider. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and Vancouver is probably hoping that he’ll agree to a long-term contract at a reasonable price. The nightmare scenario for Vancouver would be to trade Luongo this summer and then lose Schneider as an unrestricted free agent in the not too distant future.
For that reason, the possibility of Vancouver trading Schneider over Luongo can’t entirely be dismissed. If Schneider isn’t signed to a long-term deal, then sticking with Luongo might actually be the safer bet for Vancouver.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner