Jun 21, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman spoke with the media Thursday and – surprise, surprise – Vancouver’s goaltending situation came up.
“Mike (Gillis) has entertained calls on both goaltenders…it falls into the category of ‘problems you don’t mind having’,” Gilman said, according to the Canucks official Twitter feed.
It shouldn’t come as a shock that Gilman specified that teams have inquired about Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider. After all, Schneider is younger and not tied down to a dangerously long-term contract. Of course, that’s also why most people assume that if Vancouver is going to trade anyone, it’ll be Luongo.
Over the last couple of weeks, the market value for Luongo has probably climbed. Tomas Vokoun, Josh Harding, and Anders Lindback are all off the market. At this point, the most appealing potential unrestricted free agent is probably Scott Clemmensen and the list gets significantly less appealing after that.
At the same time, the wrinkle in the Canucks’ plans might be Schneider. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and Vancouver is probably hoping that he’ll agree to a long-term contract at a reasonable price. The nightmare scenario for Vancouver would be to trade Luongo this summer and then lose Schneider as an unrestricted free agent in the not too distant future.
For that reason, the possibility of Vancouver trading Schneider over Luongo can’t entirely be dismissed. If Schneider isn’t signed to a long-term deal, then sticking with Luongo might actually be the safer bet for Vancouver.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)