Jun 21, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman spoke with the media Thursday and – surprise, surprise – Vancouver’s goaltending situation came up.
“Mike (Gillis) has entertained calls on both goaltenders…it falls into the category of ‘problems you don’t mind having’,” Gilman said, according to the Canucks official Twitter feed.
It shouldn’t come as a shock that Gilman specified that teams have inquired about Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider. After all, Schneider is younger and not tied down to a dangerously long-term contract. Of course, that’s also why most people assume that if Vancouver is going to trade anyone, it’ll be Luongo.
Over the last couple of weeks, the market value for Luongo has probably climbed. Tomas Vokoun, Josh Harding, and Anders Lindback are all off the market. At this point, the most appealing potential unrestricted free agent is probably Scott Clemmensen and the list gets significantly less appealing after that.
At the same time, the wrinkle in the Canucks’ plans might be Schneider. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and Vancouver is probably hoping that he’ll agree to a long-term contract at a reasonable price. The nightmare scenario for Vancouver would be to trade Luongo this summer and then lose Schneider as an unrestricted free agent in the not too distant future.
For that reason, the possibility of Vancouver trading Schneider over Luongo can’t entirely be dismissed. If Schneider isn’t signed to a long-term deal, then sticking with Luongo might actually be the safer bet for Vancouver.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)