Jun 21, 2012, 5:12 PM EDT
Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman spoke with the media Thursday and – surprise, surprise – Vancouver’s goaltending situation came up.
“Mike (Gillis) has entertained calls on both goaltenders…it falls into the category of ‘problems you don’t mind having’,” Gilman said, according to the Canucks official Twitter feed.
It shouldn’t come as a shock that Gilman specified that teams have inquired about Roberto Luongo and Cory Schneider. After all, Schneider is younger and not tied down to a dangerously long-term contract. Of course, that’s also why most people assume that if Vancouver is going to trade anyone, it’ll be Luongo.
Over the last couple of weeks, the market value for Luongo has probably climbed. Tomas Vokoun, Josh Harding, and Anders Lindback are all off the market. At this point, the most appealing potential unrestricted free agent is probably Scott Clemmensen and the list gets significantly less appealing after that.
At the same time, the wrinkle in the Canucks’ plans might be Schneider. He’s scheduled to become a restricted free agent this summer and Vancouver is probably hoping that he’ll agree to a long-term contract at a reasonable price. The nightmare scenario for Vancouver would be to trade Luongo this summer and then lose Schneider as an unrestricted free agent in the not too distant future.
For that reason, the possibility of Vancouver trading Schneider over Luongo can’t entirely be dismissed. If Schneider isn’t signed to a long-term deal, then sticking with Luongo might actually be the safer bet for Vancouver.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)