Jun 21, 2012, 6:01 PM EST
If the Edmonton Oilers wanted to trade down from the first overall pick to second, they’re probably going to end up disappointed. According to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson isn’t interested in acquiring the top pick.
Nail Yakupov is likely to be selected with the first overall pick, but there’s still a chance that the Edmonton Oilers might take defenseman Ryan Murray.
It’s not clear who the Columbus Blue Jackets would want to select with the second pick and it shouldn’t be assumed that they’ll simply take whoever is left between Yakupov and Murray.
There’s also a real possibility that Columbus will trade down. As it is, Portzline has been told that the Blue Jackets are considering an offer that would result in them surrendering the number two pick.
The only time that the Blue Jackets have used a top-three pick was in 2002 when they took Rick Nash. With Nash likely to be dealt, the Blue Jackets could certainly use a new person to serve as the face of their franchise, but they might not get that player via the 2012 draft.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)