Jun 21, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
If the Edmonton Oilers wanted to trade down from the first overall pick to second, they’re probably going to end up disappointed. According to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson isn’t interested in acquiring the top pick.
Nail Yakupov is likely to be selected with the first overall pick, but there’s still a chance that the Edmonton Oilers might take defenseman Ryan Murray.
It’s not clear who the Columbus Blue Jackets would want to select with the second pick and it shouldn’t be assumed that they’ll simply take whoever is left between Yakupov and Murray.
There’s also a real possibility that Columbus will trade down. As it is, Portzline has been told that the Blue Jackets are considering an offer that would result in them surrendering the number two pick.
The only time that the Blue Jackets have used a top-three pick was in 2002 when they took Rick Nash. With Nash likely to be dealt, the Blue Jackets could certainly use a new person to serve as the face of their franchise, but they might not get that player via the 2012 draft.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 4
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 10
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 25
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)