Jun 21, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
If the Edmonton Oilers wanted to trade down from the first overall pick to second, they’re probably going to end up disappointed. According to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson isn’t interested in acquiring the top pick.
Nail Yakupov is likely to be selected with the first overall pick, but there’s still a chance that the Edmonton Oilers might take defenseman Ryan Murray.
It’s not clear who the Columbus Blue Jackets would want to select with the second pick and it shouldn’t be assumed that they’ll simply take whoever is left between Yakupov and Murray.
There’s also a real possibility that Columbus will trade down. As it is, Portzline has been told that the Blue Jackets are considering an offer that would result in them surrendering the number two pick.
The only time that the Blue Jackets have used a top-three pick was in 2002 when they took Rick Nash. With Nash likely to be dealt, the Blue Jackets could certainly use a new person to serve as the face of their franchise, but they might not get that player via the 2012 draft.
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 0
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 1
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 12
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 103
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)