Jun 21, 2012, 6:01 PM EST
If the Edmonton Oilers wanted to trade down from the first overall pick to second, they’re probably going to end up disappointed. According to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline, Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson isn’t interested in acquiring the top pick.
Nail Yakupov is likely to be selected with the first overall pick, but there’s still a chance that the Edmonton Oilers might take defenseman Ryan Murray.
It’s not clear who the Columbus Blue Jackets would want to select with the second pick and it shouldn’t be assumed that they’ll simply take whoever is left between Yakupov and Murray.
There’s also a real possibility that Columbus will trade down. As it is, Portzline has been told that the Blue Jackets are considering an offer that would result in them surrendering the number two pick.
The only time that the Blue Jackets have used a top-three pick was in 2002 when they took Rick Nash. With Nash likely to be dealt, the Blue Jackets could certainly use a new person to serve as the face of their franchise, but they might not get that player via the 2012 draft.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)