Jun 21, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
It’s probably an oversimplification to say this, but many hockey people believe that the Chicago Blackhawks essentially chose to keep defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson instead of goalie Antti Niemi after they won the Stanley Cup. There are some who aren’t sold on Niemi in San Jose, yet it’s interesting to note that CSNChicago.com’s Tracey Myers reports that Hjalmarsson and fellow expensive depth blueliner Steve Montador could be trade fodder this weekend.
The Blackhawks don’t need a major overhaul –- let’s remember this team is on a four-season playoff roll. But they do need to make changes to bolster what has become a predictable team. They need a stronger supporting cast. They need size on defense. That may mean giving up a player or two — a source indicated that Niklas Hjalmarsson and Steve Montador, who have a combined $6 million cap hit this coming season, could be possibilities. That may mean giving up a prized prospect and draft picks. It’s the price of winning –- and attaining impact players.
And, no, by “impact” we’re not talking about acquiring every break-the-bank superstar player out there. While the cap could increase to as much as $70 million, the Blackhawks have plenty of star status and big-money contracts. It’s more about finding those great characters, those great role players who have more than one year left in their NHL career. And it’s about finding them now.
Despite his versatility, the Montador signing was especially surprising the moment it happened. While Hjalmarsson’s upward trajectory seemed profound at the time that he signed his current deal, Montador seemed like the beneficiary of the Buffalo Sabres’ defensive troubles more than anything else in 2010-11.
Regardless, summer time seems to be the period when the Blackhawks purge cap-unfriendly defensemen. Do you think Hjalmarsson and Montador will follow in Brian Campbell‘s footsteps – out the door – then?
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 2
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 12
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)