Jun 20, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
According to Renaud Lavoie of RDS, New York Islanders forward PA Parenteau will head to free agency on July 1.
Lavoie cites sources on Long Island that say the 29-year-old winger — who finished third on the Islanders with 67 points last year — isn’t going to re-up with New York.
Or, New York isn’t going to re-up with him.
If you’re wondering why the two sides failed to reach an agreement, here’s what CBC’s Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 30 Thoughts column from June 11:
It doesn’t sound like the Islanders are interested in re-signing Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau. Sometimes, people look at guys like him and say, “He’s only getting points because he’s playing with John Tavares.” While that may be true, it’s always a gamble the next guy has the same chemistry with your star. Or that Parenteau will go somewhere else and get 67 points with a different star.
Parenteau will hit the open market as one of the league’s most intriguing UFAs. In terms of production, few unrestricted forwards racked up more offense last season — Parenteau’s 67 points were second only to Phoenix’s Ray Whitney (77) and New Jersey’s Zach Parise (69).
It’ll be curious to see how teams value him in terms of dollars and term. Remember, Parenteau is a classic late bloomer that only really established himself as a full-time NHLer in 2010-11; prior to that, he’d never played more than 22 games in a single season and had never made more than $550,000 on a single contract.
Last season, Parenteau played on a one-year, $1.25 million deal, making him one of the best bargains in the NHL.
We will now wait for diehard Islanders fan (and noted PHT commenter) bcilesman to weigh in.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)