Jun 20, 2012, 12:58 PM EDT
According to Renaud Lavoie of RDS, New York Islanders forward PA Parenteau will head to free agency on July 1.
Lavoie cites sources on Long Island that say the 29-year-old winger — who finished third on the Islanders with 67 points last year — isn’t going to re-up with New York.
Or, New York isn’t going to re-up with him.
If you’re wondering why the two sides failed to reach an agreement, here’s what CBC’s Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 30 Thoughts column from June 11:
It doesn’t sound like the Islanders are interested in re-signing Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau. Sometimes, people look at guys like him and say, “He’s only getting points because he’s playing with John Tavares.” While that may be true, it’s always a gamble the next guy has the same chemistry with your star. Or that Parenteau will go somewhere else and get 67 points with a different star.
Parenteau will hit the open market as one of the league’s most intriguing UFAs. In terms of production, few unrestricted forwards racked up more offense last season — Parenteau’s 67 points were second only to Phoenix’s Ray Whitney (77) and New Jersey’s Zach Parise (69).
It’ll be curious to see how teams value him in terms of dollars and term. Remember, Parenteau is a classic late bloomer that only really established himself as a full-time NHLer in 2010-11; prior to that, he’d never played more than 22 games in a single season and had never made more than $550,000 on a single contract.
Last season, Parenteau played on a one-year, $1.25 million deal, making him one of the best bargains in the NHL.
We will now wait for diehard Islanders fan (and noted PHT commenter) bcilesman to weigh in.
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 0
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 2
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 26
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination