Jun 20, 2012, 12:58 PM EST
According to Renaud Lavoie of RDS, New York Islanders forward PA Parenteau will head to free agency on July 1.
Lavoie cites sources on Long Island that say the 29-year-old winger — who finished third on the Islanders with 67 points last year — isn’t going to re-up with New York.
Or, New York isn’t going to re-up with him.
If you’re wondering why the two sides failed to reach an agreement, here’s what CBC’s Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 30 Thoughts column from June 11:
It doesn’t sound like the Islanders are interested in re-signing Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau. Sometimes, people look at guys like him and say, “He’s only getting points because he’s playing with John Tavares.” While that may be true, it’s always a gamble the next guy has the same chemistry with your star. Or that Parenteau will go somewhere else and get 67 points with a different star.
Parenteau will hit the open market as one of the league’s most intriguing UFAs. In terms of production, few unrestricted forwards racked up more offense last season — Parenteau’s 67 points were second only to Phoenix’s Ray Whitney (77) and New Jersey’s Zach Parise (69).
It’ll be curious to see how teams value him in terms of dollars and term. Remember, Parenteau is a classic late bloomer that only really established himself as a full-time NHLer in 2010-11; prior to that, he’d never played more than 22 games in a single season and had never made more than $550,000 on a single contract.
Last season, Parenteau played on a one-year, $1.25 million deal, making him one of the best bargains in the NHL.
We will now wait for diehard Islanders fan (and noted PHT commenter) bcilesman to weigh in.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 44
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)