Jun 20, 2012, 12:32 AM EDT
For whatever reason, there’s been a steady stream of rumors about teams like the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs moving their high-end draft choices. Oilers exec Kevin Lowe told Dan Tencer that he hasn’t heard an offer enticing enough to trade Edmonton’s third consecutive No. 1 overall pick, though.
Lowe tells me absolutely no serious offers on the 1st overall pick. He says, “my sense is that we’ll pick”. Offer would have to be huge …”
If the Oilers make Nail Yakupov the top choice as many expect, Edmonton would have an option to employ an all-No. 1 pick line of Yakupov, Ryan Nugent Hopkins (2011) and Taylor Hall (2010). That trio might still be several strides from returning the franchise to contender status, but that would be a remarkable thing to watch.
(In case you’re wondering, Maple Leafs GM – and Lowe’s best pal – Brian Burke believes the Buds will stay put at No. 5 as well.)
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63