Jun 20, 2012, 12:32 AM EDT
For whatever reason, there’s been a steady stream of rumors about teams like the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs moving their high-end draft choices. Oilers exec Kevin Lowe told Dan Tencer that he hasn’t heard an offer enticing enough to trade Edmonton’s third consecutive No. 1 overall pick, though.
Lowe tells me absolutely no serious offers on the 1st overall pick. He says, “my sense is that we’ll pick”. Offer would have to be huge …”
If the Oilers make Nail Yakupov the top choice as many expect, Edmonton would have an option to employ an all-No. 1 pick line of Yakupov, Ryan Nugent Hopkins (2011) and Taylor Hall (2010). That trio might still be several strides from returning the franchise to contender status, but that would be a remarkable thing to watch.
(In case you’re wondering, Maple Leafs GM – and Lowe’s best pal – Brian Burke believes the Buds will stay put at No. 5 as well.)
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5