Jun 20, 2012, 12:32 AM EDT
For whatever reason, there’s been a steady stream of rumors about teams like the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs moving their high-end draft choices. Oilers exec Kevin Lowe told Dan Tencer that he hasn’t heard an offer enticing enough to trade Edmonton’s third consecutive No. 1 overall pick, though.
Lowe tells me absolutely no serious offers on the 1st overall pick. He says, “my sense is that we’ll pick”. Offer would have to be huge …”
If the Oilers make Nail Yakupov the top choice as many expect, Edmonton would have an option to employ an all-No. 1 pick line of Yakupov, Ryan Nugent Hopkins (2011) and Taylor Hall (2010). That trio might still be several strides from returning the franchise to contender status, but that would be a remarkable thing to watch.
(In case you’re wondering, Maple Leafs GM – and Lowe’s best pal – Brian Burke believes the Buds will stay put at No. 5 as well.)
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 8
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39