Jun 20, 2012, 12:32 AM EDT
For whatever reason, there’s been a steady stream of rumors about teams like the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs moving their high-end draft choices. Oilers exec Kevin Lowe told Dan Tencer that he hasn’t heard an offer enticing enough to trade Edmonton’s third consecutive No. 1 overall pick, though.
Lowe tells me absolutely no serious offers on the 1st overall pick. He says, “my sense is that we’ll pick”. Offer would have to be huge …”
If the Oilers make Nail Yakupov the top choice as many expect, Edmonton would have an option to employ an all-No. 1 pick line of Yakupov, Ryan Nugent Hopkins (2011) and Taylor Hall (2010). That trio might still be several strides from returning the franchise to contender status, but that would be a remarkable thing to watch.
(In case you’re wondering, Maple Leafs GM – and Lowe’s best pal – Brian Burke believes the Buds will stay put at No. 5 as well.)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 7
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 13
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6