Jun 20, 2012, 12:32 AM EST
For whatever reason, there’s been a steady stream of rumors about teams like the Edmonton Oilers and Toronto Maple Leafs moving their high-end draft choices. Oilers exec Kevin Lowe told Dan Tencer that he hasn’t heard an offer enticing enough to trade Edmonton’s third consecutive No. 1 overall pick, though.
Lowe tells me absolutely no serious offers on the 1st overall pick. He says, “my sense is that we’ll pick”. Offer would have to be huge …”
If the Oilers make Nail Yakupov the top choice as many expect, Edmonton would have an option to employ an all-No. 1 pick line of Yakupov, Ryan Nugent Hopkins (2011) and Taylor Hall (2010). That trio might still be several strides from returning the franchise to contender status, but that would be a remarkable thing to watch.
(In case you’re wondering, Maple Leafs GM – and Lowe’s best pal – Brian Burke believes the Buds will stay put at No. 5 as well.)
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 12
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2