Jun 20, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Stefan Matteau (Center)
Height: 6′ 2″ Weight: 210 Shoots: Left
Team: United States National Team Development Program (USNTDP)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 17 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
Much like his father, former New York Rangers forward Stephane Matteau (sorry Devils fans), Stefan is big and knows how to utilize his size. Scouts like his physicality and ability to play on the edge.
Matteau had 32 points in 46 games for the USNTDP this season…with 166 penalty minutes (!!!). If the Maple Leafs were picking lower than fifth overall, such truculence would be nearly impossible for Brian Burke to pass on.
Matteau is a power forward by definition and he’ll likely play the part at the next level. Most mock drafts have him going in the late teens, early 20s.
“He plays like a bull in a china shop as he bangs and crashes his way though the neutral zone on his way to the net. He is at his best when he aggressive on the forecheck and drives to the net without fear.” – Shane Malloy, amateur scout and author of “The Art Of Scouting.”
More draft profiles:
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 50
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)