Jun 20, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Stefan Matteau (Center)
Height: 6′ 2″ Weight: 210 Shoots: Left
Team: United States National Team Development Program (USNTDP)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 17 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
Much like his father, former New York Rangers forward Stephane Matteau (sorry Devils fans), Stefan is big and knows how to utilize his size. Scouts like his physicality and ability to play on the edge.
Matteau had 32 points in 46 games for the USNTDP this season…with 166 penalty minutes (!!!). If the Maple Leafs were picking lower than fifth overall, such truculence would be nearly impossible for Brian Burke to pass on.
Matteau is a power forward by definition and he’ll likely play the part at the next level. Most mock drafts have him going in the late teens, early 20s.
“He plays like a bull in a china shop as he bangs and crashes his way though the neutral zone on his way to the net. He is at his best when he aggressive on the forecheck and drives to the net without fear.” – Shane Malloy, amateur scout and author of “The Art Of Scouting.”
More draft profiles:
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)