Jun 20, 2012, 4:25 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Stefan Matteau (Center)
Height: 6′ 2″ Weight: 210 Shoots: Left
Team: United States National Team Development Program (USNTDP)
Country: United States
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 17 skater in North America
What kind of player is he?
Much like his father, former New York Rangers forward Stephane Matteau (sorry Devils fans), Stefan is big and knows how to utilize his size. Scouts like his physicality and ability to play on the edge.
Matteau had 32 points in 46 games for the USNTDP this season…with 166 penalty minutes (!!!). If the Maple Leafs were picking lower than fifth overall, such truculence would be nearly impossible for Brian Burke to pass on.
Matteau is a power forward by definition and he’ll likely play the part at the next level. Most mock drafts have him going in the late teens, early 20s.
“He plays like a bull in a china shop as he bangs and crashes his way though the neutral zone on his way to the net. He is at his best when he aggressive on the forecheck and drives to the net without fear.” – Shane Malloy, amateur scout and author of “The Art Of Scouting.”
More draft profiles:
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 64
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 29
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15