Jun 20, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
All week leading up to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh, we’ll be profiling top prospects who may hear their names called Friday in the first round. Nothing too in-depth. Just enough so you know who they are and what they’re about.
Radek Faksa (Center)
Height: 6’3” Weight: 202 Shoots: Left
Team: Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
Country: Czech Republic
NHL Central Scouting ranking: No. 7 overall North American skater
What kind of player is he?
At 18, Faksa is big kid that projects to be a tower of strength when he fills out. In his first year with Kitchener he led all rookies in goals, assists, points, game-winning goals and plus-minus — heck of a way to make a first impression.
North American Central Scouting chief Mark Seidel says Faksa is “a big body with skill” but questions what type of player he projects to be. Is he a first line center or a second line guy?
If you’re looking for a comparable, many pundits have linked Faksa to another Kitchener product — Colorado Avalanche center (and Calder Trophy nominee) Gabriel Landeskog.
“We know he’s a world-class offensive player, but I think what makes him attractive to NHL scouts is the fact he might play earlier than expected because he’s able to defend at what I consider an elite level right now.” – Steve Spott, Kitchener head coach
More draft profiles:
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 12
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 23
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 55
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)