Jun 20, 2012, 7:43 PM EDT
Evgeni Malkin has been nominated for the Ted Lindsay Award three times, but this is the first time that he has captured the award. The other two finalists were the New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist and Tampa Bay’s Steven Stamkos.
Malkin shined this season and was a leader for Pittsburgh with Sidney Crosby sidelined for the vast majority of the season. He had 50 goals and a league-leading 109 points in 75 games.
Formerly known as the Lester B. Pearson Award, this trophy is given to the NHL’s top player as voted on by his peers.
Malkin joins Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, and Sidney Crosby as Pittsburgh Penguins who have captured the Lester B. Pearson/Ted Lindsay Award. After leaving Pittsburgh, Jagr captured his third Lester B. Pearson in 2006 as a member of the New York Rangers.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 0
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 10
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 37
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic
- Play Video: Stepan's face takes a beating
- Play Video: Dorsett vs. Thornton