Jun 20, 2012, 7:53 PM EDT
After finishing tied for the rookie scoring lead (52 points) and second in goals (22), Colorado Avalanche forward Gabriel Landeskog captured the Calder Trophy at Wednesday night’s NHL Awards show.
The 19-year-old Swede beat out fellow rookies Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (Edmonton) and Adam Henrique (New Jersey) for the honor. Landeskog did it on the strength of his plus-20 rating (tops among all Colorado players) while averaging 18:36 of ice time, most among all first-year forwards.
He was also one of just four rookies to average more than 1:20 per game on both the penalty kill and power play.
This marks the second straight season rookie of the year has gone to a forward. Last year, Carolina’s Jeff Skinner captured the award after posting 31G-32A-63PTS as an 18-year-old.
Landeskog becomes just the second Colorado player to ever win the award — the first was Chris Drury in 1999. Of course, the franchise did celebrate a pair of Calders while in Quebec: Peter Forsberg won it in 1995 and Peter Stastny won it in 1981.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)