Jun 20, 2012, 9:11 PM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s talents weren’t a secret to hardcore hockey fans, but you could definitely call last season a breakthrough one for the Philadelphia Flyers star. A great series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, all that Winter Classic exposure and a fantastic campaign really exposed him to NHL fans. Yet being named the cover star of EA Sports’ upcoming NHL 13 title might be the most mainstream evidence of that breakthrough.
Giroux admitted that he hasn’t played the games much lately (one can imagine that he had more real-life hockey playing to do). That being said, he remembers that his in-game avatar wasn’t always very good.
“Four years ago I remember I played myself and I was real disappointed,” Giroux said. “I was like, ‘this guy sucks.’ Couldn’t shoot, couldn’t skate, always on his butt … so hopefully this year will be better.”
Giroux’s character really took off in NHL 12 and one can assume he’ll be even better in the next game. (Giroux said he thinks he’ll be a 90 in the game.)
Scott Hartnell made a lot of noise on Twitter about the online voting, which drew Giroux’s mockery. In turn, Giroux refused to give Hartnell credit and chose him when asked to name a player who was the most overrated in the game four years ago.
NHL 13 is scheduled to be released in North America on Sept. 11, 2012.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)