Jun 20, 2012, 9:11 PM EST
Claude Giroux‘s talents weren’t a secret to hardcore hockey fans, but you could definitely call last season a breakthrough one for the Philadelphia Flyers star. A great series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, all that Winter Classic exposure and a fantastic campaign really exposed him to NHL fans. Yet being named the cover star of EA Sports’ upcoming NHL 13 title might be the most mainstream evidence of that breakthrough.
Giroux admitted that he hasn’t played the games much lately (one can imagine that he had more real-life hockey playing to do). That being said, he remembers that his in-game avatar wasn’t always very good.
“Four years ago I remember I played myself and I was real disappointed,” Giroux said. “I was like, ‘this guy sucks.’ Couldn’t shoot, couldn’t skate, always on his butt … so hopefully this year will be better.”
Giroux’s character really took off in NHL 12 and one can assume he’ll be even better in the next game. (Giroux said he thinks he’ll be a 90 in the game.)
Scott Hartnell made a lot of noise on Twitter about the online voting, which drew Giroux’s mockery. In turn, Giroux refused to give Hartnell credit and chose him when asked to name a player who was the most overrated in the game four years ago.
NHL 13 is scheduled to be released in North America on Sept. 11, 2012.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5