Jun 20, 2012, 9:11 PM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s talents weren’t a secret to hardcore hockey fans, but you could definitely call last season a breakthrough one for the Philadelphia Flyers star. A great series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, all that Winter Classic exposure and a fantastic campaign really exposed him to NHL fans. Yet being named the cover star of EA Sports’ upcoming NHL 13 title might be the most mainstream evidence of that breakthrough.
Giroux admitted that he hasn’t played the games much lately (one can imagine that he had more real-life hockey playing to do). That being said, he remembers that his in-game avatar wasn’t always very good.
“Four years ago I remember I played myself and I was real disappointed,” Giroux said. “I was like, ‘this guy sucks.’ Couldn’t shoot, couldn’t skate, always on his butt … so hopefully this year will be better.”
Giroux’s character really took off in NHL 12 and one can assume he’ll be even better in the next game. (Giroux said he thinks he’ll be a 90 in the game.)
Scott Hartnell made a lot of noise on Twitter about the online voting, which drew Giroux’s mockery. In turn, Giroux refused to give Hartnell credit and chose him when asked to name a player who was the most overrated in the game four years ago.
NHL 13 is scheduled to be released in North America on Sept. 11, 2012.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 3
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 24
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 14
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)