Jun 20, 2012, 9:11 PM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s talents weren’t a secret to hardcore hockey fans, but you could definitely call last season a breakthrough one for the Philadelphia Flyers star. A great series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, all that Winter Classic exposure and a fantastic campaign really exposed him to NHL fans. Yet being named the cover star of EA Sports’ upcoming NHL 13 title might be the most mainstream evidence of that breakthrough.
Giroux admitted that he hasn’t played the games much lately (one can imagine that he had more real-life hockey playing to do). That being said, he remembers that his in-game avatar wasn’t always very good.
“Four years ago I remember I played myself and I was real disappointed,” Giroux said. “I was like, ‘this guy sucks.’ Couldn’t shoot, couldn’t skate, always on his butt … so hopefully this year will be better.”
Giroux’s character really took off in NHL 12 and one can assume he’ll be even better in the next game. (Giroux said he thinks he’ll be a 90 in the game.)
Scott Hartnell made a lot of noise on Twitter about the online voting, which drew Giroux’s mockery. In turn, Giroux refused to give Hartnell credit and chose him when asked to name a player who was the most overrated in the game four years ago.
NHL 13 is scheduled to be released in North America on Sept. 11, 2012.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 0
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5