Jun 20, 2012, 9:11 PM EDT
Claude Giroux‘s talents weren’t a secret to hardcore hockey fans, but you could definitely call last season a breakthrough one for the Philadelphia Flyers star. A great series against the Pittsburgh Penguins, all that Winter Classic exposure and a fantastic campaign really exposed him to NHL fans. Yet being named the cover star of EA Sports’ upcoming NHL 13 title might be the most mainstream evidence of that breakthrough.
Giroux admitted that he hasn’t played the games much lately (one can imagine that he had more real-life hockey playing to do). That being said, he remembers that his in-game avatar wasn’t always very good.
“Four years ago I remember I played myself and I was real disappointed,” Giroux said. “I was like, ‘this guy sucks.’ Couldn’t shoot, couldn’t skate, always on his butt … so hopefully this year will be better.”
Giroux’s character really took off in NHL 12 and one can assume he’ll be even better in the next game. (Giroux said he thinks he’ll be a 90 in the game.)
Scott Hartnell made a lot of noise on Twitter about the online voting, which drew Giroux’s mockery. In turn, Giroux refused to give Hartnell credit and chose him when asked to name a player who was the most overrated in the game four years ago.
NHL 13 is scheduled to be released in North America on Sept. 11, 2012.
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 0
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 27
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 44
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)