Jun 20, 2012, 2:06 PM EST
Zdeno Chara is optimistic a new CBA can be reached between the league and the players’ union.
Of course, the Bruins’ captain wouldn’t guarantee anything.
“I believe it’s going to get done,” Chara told Yahoo!’s Nick Cotsonika. “I do believe it’s going to get done. But again, anything can happen. Just like in any negotiation, it can be smooth, but also it can be a really tough one. We’ll wait and see.”
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – a lockout would be an indefensible PR nightmare for the NHL and NHLPA. How can there be a work stoppage when the league is bragging about record revenues and player salaries keep going up and up as a result?
Prior to the 2004-05 lockout, there was at least recognition among most fans and media that something drastic had to be done to put the league on a more stable foundation. There are no excuses this time around.
As Cotsonika notes, it’s hard to handicap the possibility of a work stoppage until we hear “hard proposals” from each side. According to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, talks will start “in the not too distant future.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 80
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 96
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 6
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 179
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (179)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (96)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (89)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (87)