Jun 20, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Zdeno Chara is optimistic a new CBA can be reached between the league and the players’ union.
Of course, the Bruins’ captain wouldn’t guarantee anything.
“I believe it’s going to get done,” Chara told Yahoo!’s Nick Cotsonika. “I do believe it’s going to get done. But again, anything can happen. Just like in any negotiation, it can be smooth, but also it can be a really tough one. We’ll wait and see.”
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – a lockout would be an indefensible PR nightmare for the NHL and NHLPA. How can there be a work stoppage when the league is bragging about record revenues and player salaries keep going up and up as a result?
Prior to the 2004-05 lockout, there was at least recognition among most fans and media that something drastic had to be done to put the league on a more stable foundation. There are no excuses this time around.
As Cotsonika notes, it’s hard to handicap the possibility of a work stoppage until we hear “hard proposals” from each side. According to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, talks will start “in the not too distant future.”
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)