Jun 20, 2012, 2:06 PM EST
Zdeno Chara is optimistic a new CBA can be reached between the league and the players’ union.
Of course, the Bruins’ captain wouldn’t guarantee anything.
“I believe it’s going to get done,” Chara told Yahoo!’s Nick Cotsonika. “I do believe it’s going to get done. But again, anything can happen. Just like in any negotiation, it can be smooth, but also it can be a really tough one. We’ll wait and see.”
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – a lockout would be an indefensible PR nightmare for the NHL and NHLPA. How can there be a work stoppage when the league is bragging about record revenues and player salaries keep going up and up as a result?
Prior to the 2004-05 lockout, there was at least recognition among most fans and media that something drastic had to be done to put the league on a more stable foundation. There are no excuses this time around.
As Cotsonika notes, it’s hard to handicap the possibility of a work stoppage until we hear “hard proposals” from each side. According to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, talks will start “in the not too distant future.”
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)