Jun 20, 2012, 2:06 PM EST
Zdeno Chara is optimistic a new CBA can be reached between the league and the players’ union.
Of course, the Bruins’ captain wouldn’t guarantee anything.
“I believe it’s going to get done,” Chara told Yahoo!’s Nick Cotsonika. “I do believe it’s going to get done. But again, anything can happen. Just like in any negotiation, it can be smooth, but also it can be a really tough one. We’ll wait and see.”
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – a lockout would be an indefensible PR nightmare for the NHL and NHLPA. How can there be a work stoppage when the league is bragging about record revenues and player salaries keep going up and up as a result?
Prior to the 2004-05 lockout, there was at least recognition among most fans and media that something drastic had to be done to put the league on a more stable foundation. There are no excuses this time around.
As Cotsonika notes, it’s hard to handicap the possibility of a work stoppage until we hear “hard proposals” from each side. According to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, talks will start “in the not too distant future.”
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)