Jun 20, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Zdeno Chara is optimistic a new CBA can be reached between the league and the players’ union.
Of course, the Bruins’ captain wouldn’t guarantee anything.
“I believe it’s going to get done,” Chara told Yahoo!’s Nick Cotsonika. “I do believe it’s going to get done. But again, anything can happen. Just like in any negotiation, it can be smooth, but also it can be a really tough one. We’ll wait and see.”
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again – a lockout would be an indefensible PR nightmare for the NHL and NHLPA. How can there be a work stoppage when the league is bragging about record revenues and player salaries keep going up and up as a result?
Prior to the 2004-05 lockout, there was at least recognition among most fans and media that something drastic had to be done to put the league on a more stable foundation. There are no excuses this time around.
As Cotsonika notes, it’s hard to handicap the possibility of a work stoppage until we hear “hard proposals” from each side. According to NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, talks will start “in the not too distant future.”
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)