Jun 20, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
You don’t usually think of the Florida Panthers being under the wire when it comes to getting anyone signed, but they’ve got a potential problem when July 1 rolls around.
The Panthers got a breakout season from defenseman Jason Garrison and now it’s time for the Panthers to try and lock him up before becoming a free agent. Florida GM Dale Tallon tells George Richards of On Frozen Pond he’s expecting things to be tricky when it comes to negotiations.
“We’re going to go right to the wire with this,” Tallon said. “We’ll see where it goes. We’re optimistic, but we have to have contingency plans just in case. We have young players who we’re going to have to count on sooner or later.”
With how thin the free agent market will be once Ryan Suter decides what he’s going to do, Garrison could stand to cash in. He’s a big guy with a big shot from the point and scored a bunch of goals last year. That sounds pretty marketable in a thin market to me.
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 7
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 28
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)