Jun 20, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
You don’t usually think of the Florida Panthers being under the wire when it comes to getting anyone signed, but they’ve got a potential problem when July 1 rolls around.
The Panthers got a breakout season from defenseman Jason Garrison and now it’s time for the Panthers to try and lock him up before becoming a free agent. Florida GM Dale Tallon tells George Richards of On Frozen Pond he’s expecting things to be tricky when it comes to negotiations.
“We’re going to go right to the wire with this,” Tallon said. “We’ll see where it goes. We’re optimistic, but we have to have contingency plans just in case. We have young players who we’re going to have to count on sooner or later.”
With how thin the free agent market will be once Ryan Suter decides what he’s going to do, Garrison could stand to cash in. He’s a big guy with a big shot from the point and scored a bunch of goals last year. That sounds pretty marketable in a thin market to me.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)