Jun 20, 2012, 11:20 AM EST
You don’t usually think of the Florida Panthers being under the wire when it comes to getting anyone signed, but they’ve got a potential problem when July 1 rolls around.
The Panthers got a breakout season from defenseman Jason Garrison and now it’s time for the Panthers to try and lock him up before becoming a free agent. Florida GM Dale Tallon tells George Richards of On Frozen Pond he’s expecting things to be tricky when it comes to negotiations.
“We’re going to go right to the wire with this,” Tallon said. “We’ll see where it goes. We’re optimistic, but we have to have contingency plans just in case. We have young players who we’re going to have to count on sooner or later.”
With how thin the free agent market will be once Ryan Suter decides what he’s going to do, Garrison could stand to cash in. He’s a big guy with a big shot from the point and scored a bunch of goals last year. That sounds pretty marketable in a thin market to me.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 150
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (151)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)