Jun 20, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
You don’t usually think of the Florida Panthers being under the wire when it comes to getting anyone signed, but they’ve got a potential problem when July 1 rolls around.
The Panthers got a breakout season from defenseman Jason Garrison and now it’s time for the Panthers to try and lock him up before becoming a free agent. Florida GM Dale Tallon tells George Richards of On Frozen Pond he’s expecting things to be tricky when it comes to negotiations.
“We’re going to go right to the wire with this,” Tallon said. “We’ll see where it goes. We’re optimistic, but we have to have contingency plans just in case. We have young players who we’re going to have to count on sooner or later.”
With how thin the free agent market will be once Ryan Suter decides what he’s going to do, Garrison could stand to cash in. He’s a big guy with a big shot from the point and scored a bunch of goals last year. That sounds pretty marketable in a thin market to me.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (83)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)