Jun 19, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Veikkaaja says the 42-year-old has been skating in Anaheim and will continue to do so in Finland this summer, with only “a major injury or some other setback” possibly preventing his 20th NHL season.
In an interesting postscript, Finnish hockey scribe Matias Strozyk reports Selanne also has a standing offer to join the Ducks’ front office once his playing days are done.
Alluding to a similar situation with Luc Robitaille and the Kings — Lucky Luc joined the Kings as the President of Business Operations a year after retirement — Strozyyk said Selanne will be allowed to pick a job of his choosing.
Note: If you’re questioning the validity of said Veikkaaja report, here’s a note from one of the magazine’s hockey writers…
That’s in reference to Vesa Rantanen, the magazine’s sports editor.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)