Jun 19, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Veikkaaja says the 42-year-old has been skating in Anaheim and will continue to do so in Finland this summer, with only “a major injury or some other setback” possibly preventing his 20th NHL season.
In an interesting postscript, Finnish hockey scribe Matias Strozyk reports Selanne also has a standing offer to join the Ducks’ front office once his playing days are done.
Alluding to a similar situation with Luc Robitaille and the Kings — Lucky Luc joined the Kings as the President of Business Operations a year after retirement — Strozyyk said Selanne will be allowed to pick a job of his choosing.
Note: If you’re questioning the validity of said Veikkaaja report, here’s a note from one of the magazine’s hockey writers…
That’s in reference to Vesa Rantanen, the magazine’s sports editor.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)