Jun 19, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
Veikkaaja says the 42-year-old has been skating in Anaheim and will continue to do so in Finland this summer, with only “a major injury or some other setback” possibly preventing his 20th NHL season.
In an interesting postscript, Finnish hockey scribe Matias Strozyk reports Selanne also has a standing offer to join the Ducks’ front office once his playing days are done.
Alluding to a similar situation with Luc Robitaille and the Kings — Lucky Luc joined the Kings as the President of Business Operations a year after retirement — Strozyyk said Selanne will be allowed to pick a job of his choosing.
Note: If you’re questioning the validity of said Veikkaaja report, here’s a note from one of the magazine’s hockey writers…
That’s in reference to Vesa Rantanen, the magazine’s sports editor.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 36
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 2
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 18
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13