Report: Kings’ Doughty investigated in alleged sexual assault (Updated)

Jun 19, 2012, 7:35 PM EDT

doughty Getty Images

According to the Los Angeles Times, Kings defenseman Drew Doughty is being investigated for an alleged sexual assault.

More, from the Times:

Los Angeles County prosecutors are reviewing an allegation by a woman who alleges she was sexually assaulted earlier this year by L.A. Kings player Drew Doughty, a district attorney’s spokeswoman said Tuesday.

“It’s under review,” said spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons, who declined to detail the allegations, citing the office’s pending decision. “I expect a resolution this week.”

Doughty’s attorney, Craig Renetzky, said that although the case was technically under review, he expects it will be rejected this week.

The Times reportedly placed “numerous calls” to the Hermosa Beach Police — the department that handled the investigation — none of which were returned.

In related news, Renetzky took to Twitter to announce he was representing Doughty in response to the current allegations. Based on his account, Renetzky has a history of representing NHLers in legal matters, including Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek and former Kings assistant coach Mark Hardy.

UPDATE: TMZ reports that “law enforcement sources” say Doughty won’t be charged, and that the alleged incident occurred on Mar. 1.

UPDATE 2: More details from the Times, who appear to have made contact with the Hermosa PD.

Sgt. Robert Higgins said the 25-year-old woman told police she met Doughty at a bar near the Hermosa Beach Pier on March 1. The two went to Doughty’s home, where she turned down a proposition in front of several teammates.

They took a cab to her home, where she accused Doughty of raping her.

The woman reported the incident to police the same day.

Higgins said detectives asked her to call the hockey player while they listened, but she refused. He said the woman has been “less than cooperative” and that the district attorney’s office and police have “found credibility problems.”

The district attorney is expected to decide by Friday whether to prosecute, he said.

The woman has hired attorney Gloria Allred to represent her.

The alleged incident coincides with a five-day break during Los Angeles’ regular season schedule. The Kings returned home after a Feb. 28 game in Minnesota and didn’t play again until Mar. 3 — a Saturday home date against the Ducks.

1. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Earlier this year? Yeah right. She’s just looking to cash in now that he’s slightly richer having just won the Cup. Plus this guy doesn’t need to sexually assault girls, he just needs to go home to London. Plenty of easy girls at Western.

2. nhlobsessed - Jun 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

The Kings won the Cup. Their players are in the spotlight.

Why do I have the feeling that someone has decided to try and make a few extra bucks off a well-paid, star player by making false claims?

To be fair, obviously I have no idea if this is true or not. My opinion is that it is not true. I mean, the timing of it is suspect. The claim was it happened earlier this year… So why did she wait until now to report it?

For the record, I am not making light of the accusation of sexual assault. It is a serious matter. My point is just that I don’t believe there is any merit to the allegations toward Doughty. (But again, I am no lawyer, officer of the law, or in any way privy to the details of this situation and therefore cannot say whether this is true or not).

• lafavs - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

As a Kings fan, I really, really hope this isn’t true. But just because it’s being reported now doesn’t mean that this is a case of someone trying to cash in on a celebrity with a suddenly-higher profile. It may simply be the news of the investigation is surfacing now. We’ll see….

• kicksave1980 - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I hear what you’re saying, but it says that she reported the (alleged) assault on the same day (March 1), long before the playoffs.

The unfortunate fact is that it’s far too easy to permanently ruin someone’s life or reputation with a false sexual assault claim. Anyone that you’ve ever had contact with can go into a police station and file a false report. When that happens, the onus is on the accused to prove his innocence, both legally and in the public eye. Of course, I do want people punished when the complaints are valid, and understand why the police have to take every claim seriously.

• lafavs - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I made my post before that info was available. It sounds like the worst Doughty will get out of this is to have his name dragged through the mud for a few days, which in the grand scheme of things is the best-case scenario — if you have to go through something like this at all. The fact that investigators are saying she has “credibility issues,” my guess is when the smoke clears people won’t be talking about Drew Doughty as an accused rapist years from now.

I disagree with you on one thing, when an accusation like this surfaces the onus is still on the accuser to provide evidence that it happened. The cops have already let this one go because this woman could/would not do that. The court of public opinion is another matter, and it’s unfortunate Doughty has to deal with this (assuming he in fact he did nothing wrong).

Gloria Allred…. ugh!

3. mclovinhockey - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The play is under review.
    ….
    Under further review the call on the ice stands: no sexual harassment.

• babykaby - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:04 PM

You just proved you have no class. I don’t think anyone is surprised.

4. sjsharks66 - Jun 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Lol that was a good one mclovin

5. mclovinhockey - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

@lafavs
    As a human I hope this isn’t true. I know my last post was a joke but sexual harassment is in no way shape or forum funny. No matter what humanity takes a step back, if its true then that’s very sad and I feel bad for the girl, lose all respect for the player. If its false then it’s messed up what people will do or say to make a dollar, even if it ruins someone else’s life.

I think it’s the 2nd of the 2.

• babykaby - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:14 PM

There is a BIG difference between someone being overly flirtatious with someone who isn’t interested and rape. This woman is accusing this man of raping her. It is not a joke on either side of the equation. I don’t think you would joke if it were your daughter or sister making the accusation, or if it was your brother or son being accused. Grow up. Some things are just too serious to joke about. If you think it is funny, talk to someone who has had this happen, again on either side of the situation.

6. gbditka - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Gary Bettman on NHL Radio just announced “the league will now require a supervised visit when Drew gets his turn with the Stanley Cup this Summer”

• kingfooj - Jun 19, 2012 at 9:55 PM

stupid

• gbditka - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM

My definition of stupid: Conn Smythe winner Jonathan Quick gets up at the Cup rally at Staples Center last Thursday and unleashes 3 F-Bombs. Way to represent your organization and all the young Kings fans…quite a role model!

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Because the worst thing imaginable for a kid is to hear words. It could possibly force a parent to…..parent

• gbditka - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

hockeyflow33: Worst thing would be a “no” but if a Professional Hockey Player can’t find a better word to use other than the F-Bomb 3x to describe his emotions 72 hours after winning the Cup & Conn Smythe…lets just say he’s a future Flyer as that is expected from Philly!

Parents should parent but professionals should act professional when in public!

• fillyphan - Jun 20, 2012 at 10:20 AM

@Gbditka. Really!! Did you hear something about Quick coming to Philly? No I’m not stupid as you think my name would imply because I am a Flyers fan. Nice generalization about everyone that lives in Philly though.. Top notch.

Got some news for you sunshine. Hockey players are human.. I know right.. Shocking.. Excited young guys that just won the Cup may swear. It’s one of those off the cuff, over the top moments. I know that you have to sit down after all of these revelations But since I’m on a roll let me just bust your bubble harder.. They also use the bathroom, some may pick their nose, and some even speed while driving. Preposterous, i know. But since we are talking about high profile role models.. I don’t remember one of them in the news for “accidentally” releasing a sex tape on the Internet or some other “look at me” stunt.

If you are offended by language that your children hear on, movies, the school bus, read on the Internet or just about any other place in the world in this day and age I would ask you to confine them to prerecorded television. Maybe the “Cosby Show” or “Brady Bunch”. They are wholesome entertainment.

But it would seem that my ignorant comments about real life are just as stupid as your generalizations about a historic city like Philly. Carry on..

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM

anyone who’s spent time at a rink or in a lockerroom is quite familiar with every swear word imaginable in english and in french. this doesn’t take into account made up words that are also used in a profane way.

• babykaby - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

@gbditka Below you bring up Quick’s use of foul language and how unprofessional it is. Are you kidding me? Doughty is accused of RAPE. And yes, he may very well be innocent of the accusation. Hopefully so, but if you can’t see there is a very big difference in how offensive these two things are, you need to have your brain examined, and yes it does prove your stupidity.

7. grimlock410 - Jun 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM

If Gloria Allred is involved there is a 99.9 percent chance it’s BS. That women pimps scum.

8. namriverrat69 - Jun 19, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Enter gypsys, tramps and thieves.

9. pantherpro - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Kings and fans are trash

Sharkie

• rudyhiers - Jun 20, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Sharkie.

Have you always been this stupid, or was there a traumatic brain injury along the line somewhere?

Moron

• ron05342 - Jun 20, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Sharkie is probably 11 years old. What a buffoon.

• dannymac17 - Jun 20, 2012 at 10:57 AM

kings – 1 cup

sharks – no cup

10. kingfooj - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I cant stand this, I knew nicastro from high school. Good kid, now hes out of school, neck deep in court fees, and theWings have more than a bad taste in their mouth over even thinking about signing him. Some no name/no fame bum comes out with a halfa**ed story, keeps identity hidden and proceeds to blow up the lives of dedicated athletes. If its true, let justice be served, but this stupid trying to cash in on fame anyway possible BS has got to stop….

11. tlichter - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Just another Valley girl trying to get attention and $$$$

12. redscarfunion - Jun 20, 2012 at 9:55 AM

If you’ve actually met the guy this is not surprising at all huge asshole

13. sabatimus - Jun 20, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Looks like she’s full of crap anyway.

14. kitshky - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM

“During an interview, Higgins said, a detective asked the woman what punishment Doughty should receive.

“She said, ‘I don’t want him to win the Stanley Cup,”’ Higgins said.”

– New York Times.

Of course who really knows but …her story kinda falls apart for me when she says something like that.

• kingfooj - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM

i chuckled at the dialogue above as if it were a joke, until i realized you werent making it up……what a joke

• babykaby - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Sounds to me like maybe the detective wants this woman discredited so as not to tarnish the winning of the cup. Afterall, cops in CA have a questionable history. See, just pointing out most quotes (if it actually is) can be taken out of context to benefit one side or another.

15. supr49er - Jun 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM

If he was a Laker he would get away with it for sure.
    Maybe because they won the Cup DD gets enough celebrity status to walk.

• ron05342 - Jun 20, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Yeah that’s it. It’s because he is a star he can commit a crime without punishment whenever he wants. rollyeyes here……

You, sir, are an idiot.

• babykaby - Jun 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

It has happened many times in the past. Can we all say OJ.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches