Jun 19, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
Weeks after leaving his post with the Washington Capitals, Dale Hunter is returning to the head coaching ranks.
Just not in the NHL.
The London Free Press reports Hunter will resume bench boss duties with the OHL’s London Knights next season. He’ll replace his brother, Mark, who led the Knights to the Memorial Cup final last season while Dale was off taking the Caps to within a game of the Eastern Conference finals.
While it was somewhat surprising when Hunter abruptly left the Caps on May 14, there was little surprise when he bolted straight back to London. He’s both the co-owner and president of the team and has been named OHL coach of the year three times in his 11 years behind the Knights bench.
- WATCH LIVE: Kings at Blackhawks 1
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 1
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7