Jun 19, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
Nashville Predators GM David Poile has a busy summer ahead of him, but even he admitted that he’ll need to campaign for Ryan Suter like every one else: by waiting until July 1.
Poile still seems to hold out hope that Suter might come back, though. In speaking with PHT prior to the NHL Awards in Las Vegas, he framed the situation as Suter wanting to “test the market” rather than as a sign of disrespect for Nashville.
By discussing Suter, Poile implied Shea Weber‘s return is far more likely. He more or less admitted that Weber’s restricted free agent status allows the Predators to focus on bringing Suter back first.
Then again, it could be that Poile & Co. simply think there’s a better chance of retaining their captain than his lesser-known (but some might say equally brilliant) counterpart.
Just about every sign seems to scream “Suter to the Detroit Red Wings,” yet you can’t blame the defenseman if he allows plenty of teams to court him as an unrestricted free agent. Where do you think he should end up? Perhaps more importantly, where would you like to see him go?
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 47
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 24
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 39
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 30
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 40
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (53)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)