Jun 19, 2012, 11:13 PM EST
Nashville Predators GM David Poile has a busy summer ahead of him, but even he admitted that he’ll need to campaign for Ryan Suter like every one else: by waiting until July 1.
Poile still seems to hold out hope that Suter might come back, though. In speaking with PHT prior to the NHL Awards in Las Vegas, he framed the situation as Suter wanting to “test the market” rather than as a sign of disrespect for Nashville.
By discussing Suter, Poile implied Shea Weber‘s return is far more likely. He more or less admitted that Weber’s restricted free agent status allows the Predators to focus on bringing Suter back first.
Then again, it could be that Poile & Co. simply think there’s a better chance of retaining their captain than his lesser-known (but some might say equally brilliant) counterpart.
Just about every sign seems to scream “Suter to the Detroit Red Wings,” yet you can’t blame the defenseman if he allows plenty of teams to court him as an unrestricted free agent. Where do you think he should end up? Perhaps more importantly, where would you like to see him go?
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)