Jun 19, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
Nashville Predators GM David Poile has a busy summer ahead of him, but even he admitted that he’ll need to campaign for Ryan Suter like every one else: by waiting until July 1.
Poile still seems to hold out hope that Suter might come back, though. In speaking with PHT prior to the NHL Awards in Las Vegas, he framed the situation as Suter wanting to “test the market” rather than as a sign of disrespect for Nashville.
By discussing Suter, Poile implied Shea Weber‘s return is far more likely. He more or less admitted that Weber’s restricted free agent status allows the Predators to focus on bringing Suter back first.
Then again, it could be that Poile & Co. simply think there’s a better chance of retaining their captain than his lesser-known (but some might say equally brilliant) counterpart.
Just about every sign seems to scream “Suter to the Detroit Red Wings,” yet you can’t blame the defenseman if he allows plenty of teams to court him as an unrestricted free agent. Where do you think he should end up? Perhaps more importantly, where would you like to see him go?
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 1
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)