Jun 19, 2012, 11:13 PM EST
Nashville Predators GM David Poile has a busy summer ahead of him, but even he admitted that he’ll need to campaign for Ryan Suter like every one else: by waiting until July 1.
Poile still seems to hold out hope that Suter might come back, though. In speaking with PHT prior to the NHL Awards in Las Vegas, he framed the situation as Suter wanting to “test the market” rather than as a sign of disrespect for Nashville.
By discussing Suter, Poile implied Shea Weber‘s return is far more likely. He more or less admitted that Weber’s restricted free agent status allows the Predators to focus on bringing Suter back first.
Then again, it could be that Poile & Co. simply think there’s a better chance of retaining their captain than his lesser-known (but some might say equally brilliant) counterpart.
Just about every sign seems to scream “Suter to the Detroit Red Wings,” yet you can’t blame the defenseman if he allows plenty of teams to court him as an unrestricted free agent. Where do you think he should end up? Perhaps more importantly, where would you like to see him go?
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)