Jun 19, 2012, 11:13 PM EDT
Nashville Predators GM David Poile has a busy summer ahead of him, but even he admitted that he’ll need to campaign for Ryan Suter like every one else: by waiting until July 1.
Poile still seems to hold out hope that Suter might come back, though. In speaking with PHT prior to the NHL Awards in Las Vegas, he framed the situation as Suter wanting to “test the market” rather than as a sign of disrespect for Nashville.
By discussing Suter, Poile implied Shea Weber‘s return is far more likely. He more or less admitted that Weber’s restricted free agent status allows the Predators to focus on bringing Suter back first.
Then again, it could be that Poile & Co. simply think there’s a better chance of retaining their captain than his lesser-known (but some might say equally brilliant) counterpart.
Just about every sign seems to scream “Suter to the Detroit Red Wings,” yet you can’t blame the defenseman if he allows plenty of teams to court him as an unrestricted free agent. Where do you think he should end up? Perhaps more importantly, where would you like to see him go?
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)