Jun 19, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
A variety of Pittsburgh Penguins news items to report, courtesy Dave Molinari of the Post-Gazette:
Pens GM Ray Shero can sign Crosby — heading into the final season of a five-year, $43.5 million deal — to an extension on July 1.
Shero told Molinari there’s no formal or informal deadline on getting a deal done with his captain (though there have already been crazy dollars and term thrown about.)
Few notes here:
— Staal hasn’t expressed interest in leaving Pittsburgh after his deal expires in 2013.
— Shero said that, like Crosby, there’s no deadline for signing Staal to an extension.
— Many teams have inquired about Staal, but Shero replies to each with the same response: Pittsburgh hasn’t put him on the market and hopes to re-sign him.
— Staal’s getting married on Friday. Huzzah!
Shero said both “have been good players for us,” and there are plans to discuss their futures with their agents in the coming weeks. Asham has already stated his desire to remain a Penguin.
Shero said he expects to trade a defenseman or two before next season. A quick glace at Pittsburgh’s cap structure reveals a lot of money tied up in Paul Martin ($5 million annually until 2015), Zbynek Michalek ($4 million annually until 2015) and Brooks Orpik ($3.75 million annually until 2014).
Those deals are compounded by two things. One, they all involve some type of no-trade/movement clause and two, they’re all more expensive than Kris Letang‘s ($3.5 million annually until 2014.)
It seems likely that Martin, Michalek and/or Orpik are targets to be moved, though Shero declined to reveal if he’s asked anybody to waive a NTC or NMC.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)