Jun 19, 2012, 2:13 PM EDT
A variety of Pittsburgh Penguins news items to report, courtesy Dave Molinari of the Post-Gazette:
Pens GM Ray Shero can sign Crosby — heading into the final season of a five-year, $43.5 million deal — to an extension on July 1.
Shero told Molinari there’s no formal or informal deadline on getting a deal done with his captain (though there have already been crazy dollars and term thrown about.)
Few notes here:
– Staal hasn’t expressed interest in leaving Pittsburgh after his deal expires in 2013.
– Shero said that, like Crosby, there’s no deadline for signing Staal to an extension.
– Many teams have inquired about Staal, but Shero replies to each with the same response: Pittsburgh hasn’t put him on the market and hopes to re-sign him.
– Staal’s getting married on Friday. Huzzah!
Shero said both “have been good players for us,” and there are plans to discuss their futures with their agents in the coming weeks. Asham has already stated his desire to remain a Penguin.
Shero said he expects to trade a defenseman or two before next season. A quick glace at Pittsburgh’s cap structure reveals a lot of money tied up in Paul Martin ($5 million annually until 2015), Zbynek Michalek ($4 million annually until 2015) and Brooks Orpik ($3.75 million annually until 2014).
Those deals are compounded by two things. One, they all involve some type of no-trade/movement clause and two, they’re all more expensive than Kris Letang‘s ($3.5 million annually until 2014.)
It seems likely that Martin, Michalek and/or Orpik are targets to be moved, though Shero declined to reveal if he’s asked anybody to waive a NTC or NMC.
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 0
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 8
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 2
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 30
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 32
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)