Jun 19, 2012, 10:26 AM EDT
Over the weekend we shared with you the story about how the Los Angeles Kings lost track of where their Stanley Cup-winning puck was. All we could see on video was Jordan Nolan skating in the same general area as the puck when the final horn sounded and then… Nothing.
The following video of the last two minutes of the game, and the ensuing celebration, clearly shows New Jersey’s Patrik Elias flip the puck into his glove and then skate off the ice. After it goes into Elias’ glove, it’s not seen again. Elias goes to the Devils’ bench, then returns to the ice after a few moments for the handshake line.
Here’s the video in question Hammond speaks of. It’s a bit lengthy, so just skip to the closing seconds of the game to do your own Zapruder-film-like examination.
Hammond wonders if Elias would actually be so petty by keeping the puck. Taking the game puck was never a big deal to Chris Pronger back in 2010 so perhaps this is something the players just don’t give a crap about while fans go nuts over it. Besides, the Kings won the Stanley Cup, if Elias wants to keep the puck as some sort of moral victory, let ’em have it.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 20
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 61
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)