Jun 19, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
Lennart Petrell might not be the UFA winger Oilers fans were hoping Steve Tambellini would retain this offseason. Regardless, he’s the first.
Today, the Oilers announced they’ve agreed to terms with the 28-year-old Finnish winger on a one-year extension. Petrell played in 60 games last season (4G-5A-9PTS) — his first in the NHL — this after spending eight years with HIFK in the SM-liiga (Finland’s top league.)
Financial terms of the deal were not released, but it’s unlikely Petrell’s going to earn much more than the $900,000 he made last season — though only $680,000 of that went against Edmonton’s cap. The rest was in performance bonuses.
As mentioned above, the Petrell signing overshadows a bigger, looming issue with another key Oilers UFA — Ryan Smyth.
The 36-year-old will become unrestricted on July 1 and has made no bones about wanting to keep playing in Edmonton until the end of his career. The hangup, it seems, is on the dollar amount (Smyth made $6.25 million annually on his last deal) and length of term.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)