Jun 19, 2012, 11:25 AM EDT
Lennart Petrell might not be the UFA winger Oilers fans were hoping Steve Tambellini would retain this offseason. Regardless, he’s the first.
Today, the Oilers announced they’ve agreed to terms with the 28-year-old Finnish winger on a one-year extension. Petrell played in 60 games last season (4G-5A-9PTS) — his first in the NHL — this after spending eight years with HIFK in the SM-liiga (Finland’s top league.)
Financial terms of the deal were not released, but it’s unlikely Petrell’s going to earn much more than the $900,000 he made last season — though only $680,000 of that went against Edmonton’s cap. The rest was in performance bonuses.
As mentioned above, the Petrell signing overshadows a bigger, looming issue with another key Oilers UFA — Ryan Smyth.
The 36-year-old will become unrestricted on July 1 and has made no bones about wanting to keep playing in Edmonton until the end of his career. The hangup, it seems, is on the dollar amount (Smyth made $6.25 million annually on his last deal) and length of term.
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 18
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 52
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)