Jun 19, 2012, 5:20 PM EST
This just in from The Arizona Republic:
A judge Tuesday afternoon invalidated just one section of Glendale City Council’s lease agreement with a likely Phoenix Coyotes buyer. It is not clear yet whether he will invalidate the entire ordinance.
Attorneys from Glendale and [the Goldwater Institute] appeared before Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Dean Fink at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Judge Fink requested that the language of the ordinance be rewritten to reflect that it was not passed as an emergency order. Since the deal did not have the council votes to take effect immediately, residents would have time to pursue a public referendum on the lease deal.
Whether we’re back to square one, we’ll have to wait until Thursday to find out if the judge throws out the entire ordinance. At the very least, it’s another delay in a situation where time is of the essence.
“[Delays] may in fact cost us the deal and the city of Glendale a professional hockey team,” said city attorney Gary Birnbaum during today’s proceedings.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, opponents will now have the opportunity to collect signatures and force a fall referendum.
Deal opponents have taken out petitions and have 30 days from the June 8 council vote to collect 1,862 signatures to get a Coyotes deal referendum on the November ballot. A city official said it’s too late to put a Coyotes referendum on the August 28 city primary ballot.
The move could essentially kill [Greg] Jamison’s bid to buy the team from the National Hockey League either by squelching the favorable arena deal or scaring off investors by dragging out the process. “That’s their real goal,” said one official familiar with the Coyotes deal.
One resident, Joe Cobb, plans to start collecting signatures Wednesday, according to the paper.
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 14
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 23
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (161)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)