Jun 19, 2012, 5:20 PM EDT
This just in from The Arizona Republic:
A judge Tuesday afternoon invalidated just one section of Glendale City Council’s lease agreement with a likely Phoenix Coyotes buyer. It is not clear yet whether he will invalidate the entire ordinance.
Attorneys from Glendale and [the Goldwater Institute] appeared before Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Dean Fink at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Judge Fink requested that the language of the ordinance be rewritten to reflect that it was not passed as an emergency order. Since the deal did not have the council votes to take effect immediately, residents would have time to pursue a public referendum on the lease deal.
Whether we’re back to square one, we’ll have to wait until Thursday to find out if the judge throws out the entire ordinance. At the very least, it’s another delay in a situation where time is of the essence.
“[Delays] may in fact cost us the deal and the city of Glendale a professional hockey team,” said city attorney Gary Birnbaum during today’s proceedings.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, opponents will now have the opportunity to collect signatures and force a fall referendum.
Deal opponents have taken out petitions and have 30 days from the June 8 council vote to collect 1,862 signatures to get a Coyotes deal referendum on the November ballot. A city official said it’s too late to put a Coyotes referendum on the August 28 city primary ballot.
The move could essentially kill [Greg] Jamison’s bid to buy the team from the National Hockey League either by squelching the favorable arena deal or scaring off investors by dragging out the process. “That’s their real goal,” said one official familiar with the Coyotes deal.
One resident, Joe Cobb, plans to start collecting signatures Wednesday, according to the paper.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)