Jun 19, 2012, 9:02 AM EST
By now you know all about the main teams interested in Rick Nash. You’ve got the Rangers, Sharks, Flyers, Bruins, and Maple Leafs all floating around as contenders. But what about the Ottawa Senators?
Blue Jackets play-by-play man Jeff Rimer said on Columbus radio this weekend the Sens are asking about Nash and Ian Mendes of Sportsnet examined the possibility a bit closer. The chances are minimal Nash could wind up in Ottawa as they’re not likely on his list of teams he’d go to and it may just be a tactical move by the Jackets to name-drop another interested team, but all that aside, Mendes looks at what it might take to land Nash.
Ottawa would most certainly have to part with a player like first-round pick Mika Zibanejad, as well as goaltending prospect Robin Lehner. And when you start trading your most valuable prospects, it’s an indication that the future is right now.
The chances you’d see Sens GM Bryan Murray give up on 2011 first-round pick Zibanejad, who the organization loves, are minimal even for a guy like Nash. Still, with Daniel Alfredsson retiring soon, either this summer or next, the Senators’ need for a big scoring winger is there. Is Nash at his monster cap hit the guy to fill that eventual hole? Perhaps not when it means mortgaging the future.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)