Jun 19, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
By now you know all about the main teams interested in Rick Nash. You’ve got the Rangers, Sharks, Flyers, Bruins, and Maple Leafs all floating around as contenders. But what about the Ottawa Senators?
Blue Jackets play-by-play man Jeff Rimer said on Columbus radio this weekend the Sens are asking about Nash and Ian Mendes of Sportsnet examined the possibility a bit closer. The chances are minimal Nash could wind up in Ottawa as they’re not likely on his list of teams he’d go to and it may just be a tactical move by the Jackets to name-drop another interested team, but all that aside, Mendes looks at what it might take to land Nash.
Ottawa would most certainly have to part with a player like first-round pick Mika Zibanejad, as well as goaltending prospect Robin Lehner. And when you start trading your most valuable prospects, it’s an indication that the future is right now.
The chances you’d see Sens GM Bryan Murray give up on 2011 first-round pick Zibanejad, who the organization loves, are minimal even for a guy like Nash. Still, with Daniel Alfredsson retiring soon, either this summer or next, the Senators’ need for a big scoring winger is there. Is Nash at his monster cap hit the guy to fill that eventual hole? Perhaps not when it means mortgaging the future.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)