Jun 19, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
By now you know all about the main teams interested in Rick Nash. You’ve got the Rangers, Sharks, Flyers, Bruins, and Maple Leafs all floating around as contenders. But what about the Ottawa Senators?
Blue Jackets play-by-play man Jeff Rimer said on Columbus radio this weekend the Sens are asking about Nash and Ian Mendes of Sportsnet examined the possibility a bit closer. The chances are minimal Nash could wind up in Ottawa as they’re not likely on his list of teams he’d go to and it may just be a tactical move by the Jackets to name-drop another interested team, but all that aside, Mendes looks at what it might take to land Nash.
Ottawa would most certainly have to part with a player like first-round pick Mika Zibanejad, as well as goaltending prospect Robin Lehner. And when you start trading your most valuable prospects, it’s an indication that the future is right now.
The chances you’d see Sens GM Bryan Murray give up on 2011 first-round pick Zibanejad, who the organization loves, are minimal even for a guy like Nash. Still, with Daniel Alfredsson retiring soon, either this summer or next, the Senators’ need for a big scoring winger is there. Is Nash at his monster cap hit the guy to fill that eventual hole? Perhaps not when it means mortgaging the future.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)