Jun 19, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
By now you know all about the main teams interested in Rick Nash. You’ve got the Rangers, Sharks, Flyers, Bruins, and Maple Leafs all floating around as contenders. But what about the Ottawa Senators?
Blue Jackets play-by-play man Jeff Rimer said on Columbus radio this weekend the Sens are asking about Nash and Ian Mendes of Sportsnet examined the possibility a bit closer. The chances are minimal Nash could wind up in Ottawa as they’re not likely on his list of teams he’d go to and it may just be a tactical move by the Jackets to name-drop another interested team, but all that aside, Mendes looks at what it might take to land Nash.
Ottawa would most certainly have to part with a player like first-round pick Mika Zibanejad, as well as goaltending prospect Robin Lehner. And when you start trading your most valuable prospects, it’s an indication that the future is right now.
The chances you’d see Sens GM Bryan Murray give up on 2011 first-round pick Zibanejad, who the organization loves, are minimal even for a guy like Nash. Still, with Daniel Alfredsson retiring soon, either this summer or next, the Senators’ need for a big scoring winger is there. Is Nash at his monster cap hit the guy to fill that eventual hole? Perhaps not when it means mortgaging the future.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 14
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 37
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 149
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (151)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)