Jun 19, 2012, 9:02 AM EDT
By now you know all about the main teams interested in Rick Nash. You’ve got the Rangers, Sharks, Flyers, Bruins, and Maple Leafs all floating around as contenders. But what about the Ottawa Senators?
Blue Jackets play-by-play man Jeff Rimer said on Columbus radio this weekend the Sens are asking about Nash and Ian Mendes of Sportsnet examined the possibility a bit closer. The chances are minimal Nash could wind up in Ottawa as they’re not likely on his list of teams he’d go to and it may just be a tactical move by the Jackets to name-drop another interested team, but all that aside, Mendes looks at what it might take to land Nash.
Ottawa would most certainly have to part with a player like first-round pick Mika Zibanejad, as well as goaltending prospect Robin Lehner. And when you start trading your most valuable prospects, it’s an indication that the future is right now.
The chances you’d see Sens GM Bryan Murray give up on 2011 first-round pick Zibanejad, who the organization loves, are minimal even for a guy like Nash. Still, with Daniel Alfredsson retiring soon, either this summer or next, the Senators’ need for a big scoring winger is there. Is Nash at his monster cap hit the guy to fill that eventual hole? Perhaps not when it means mortgaging the future.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)