Jun 19, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
Minnesota backup goalie Josh Harding is hoping to one day be a starting goalie.
The impending unrestricted free agent might get that opportunity to be some team’s No. 1 guy on July 1, but he tells Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune he has one place in mind already where he wants to be the starter.
“I’m hoping we can get something worked out here soon,” said Harding, who turned 28 on Monday. “I’d love to be back here. It’s no secret I like Minnesota and I like being here. My goal since I was drafted [10 years ago] was to be a No. 1 goalie in Minnesota. I want to be a No. 1 goalie and if there’s a place and we can work something out, I’d love to stay.”
There’s one little catch about being the starter in Minnesota: Current starting goalie Niklas Backstrom.
Backstrom has one more year left on his contract with Minnesota and turns 35 soon. Harding is just 27 years-old and his time to prove he can be the top guy is upon him. Harding tells Russo that a one-year deal isn’t something that appeals to him.
Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has a tough call to make here as Backstrom’s been a solid player for Minnesota for years and Harding has shown, between injuries, that he’s a very good goalie. Is it time for a change? Fletcher has less than a couple weeks to figure that out.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)