Jun 19, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Minnesota backup goalie Josh Harding is hoping to one day be a starting goalie.
The impending unrestricted free agent might get that opportunity to be some team’s No. 1 guy on July 1, but he tells Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune he has one place in mind already where he wants to be the starter.
“I’m hoping we can get something worked out here soon,” said Harding, who turned 28 on Monday. “I’d love to be back here. It’s no secret I like Minnesota and I like being here. My goal since I was drafted [10 years ago] was to be a No. 1 goalie in Minnesota. I want to be a No. 1 goalie and if there’s a place and we can work something out, I’d love to stay.”
There’s one little catch about being the starter in Minnesota: Current starting goalie Niklas Backstrom.
Backstrom has one more year left on his contract with Minnesota and turns 35 soon. Harding is just 27 years-old and his time to prove he can be the top guy is upon him. Harding tells Russo that a one-year deal isn’t something that appeals to him.
Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has a tough call to make here as Backstrom’s been a solid player for Minnesota for years and Harding has shown, between injuries, that he’s a very good goalie. Is it time for a change? Fletcher has less than a couple weeks to figure that out.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 28
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)