Jun 19, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Minnesota backup goalie Josh Harding is hoping to one day be a starting goalie.
The impending unrestricted free agent might get that opportunity to be some team’s No. 1 guy on July 1, but he tells Michael Russo of The Star-Tribune he has one place in mind already where he wants to be the starter.
“I’m hoping we can get something worked out here soon,” said Harding, who turned 28 on Monday. “I’d love to be back here. It’s no secret I like Minnesota and I like being here. My goal since I was drafted [10 years ago] was to be a No. 1 goalie in Minnesota. I want to be a No. 1 goalie and if there’s a place and we can work something out, I’d love to stay.”
There’s one little catch about being the starter in Minnesota: Current starting goalie Niklas Backstrom.
Backstrom has one more year left on his contract with Minnesota and turns 35 soon. Harding is just 27 years-old and his time to prove he can be the top guy is upon him. Harding tells Russo that a one-year deal isn’t something that appeals to him.
Wild GM Chuck Fletcher has a tough call to make here as Backstrom’s been a solid player for Minnesota for years and Harding has shown, between injuries, that he’s a very good goalie. Is it time for a change? Fletcher has less than a couple weeks to figure that out.
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 5
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 10
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 18
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 32
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 45
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles