Jun 19, 2012, 1:49 PM EDT
“I love being here, I love the city, I love the fans,” Harding said. “It was really important for me to stay here and work towards my goal (of being a starting goaltender in the NHL).”
Harding was a pending unrestricted free agent, and many believed he would be targeted by the likes of Toronto and Columbus on July 1.
The 28-year-old went 13-12-4 in 2011-12 with a .917 save percentage.
The deal leaves the Wild with two NHL-caliber goalies, Harding and 34-year-old Niklas Backstrom. The latter has one year remaining on his contract before he can become an unrestricted free agent, and you have to wonder what he thinks about all this.
Harding’s cap hit is reportedly $1.9 million.
In a related story, Roberto Luongo still hasn’t been traded.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)