Jun 19, 2012, 10:13 PM EST
One of three very useful defensemen will win the Norris Trophy on Wednesday night, but there’s the sense that a tradition will be broken. In many cases, high-end offense can distinguish one defenseman from another in the history of this award, yet the general mood indicates that Erik Karlsson‘s “deficiencies” might hold him back.
Maybe it was just the warming glow of a hefty new contract, but Karlsson might as well have shrugged his shoulders at that line of criticism.
“I’ll probably hear about that for the rest of my life,” Karlsson said.
Considering the fact that Karlsson is just 22, that hockey “life” should be long. His coach – and fellow award nominee – Paul MacLean also emphasizes the stronger points of his game.
“Erik Karlsson is never going to be Shea Weber. He’s not going to run people through the rink,” MacLean said. “He’s not Zdeno Chara; he’s not six-foot-eight. But what Karlsson can do better than those guys is skate. That’s what separates him from everybody else.”
The plus/minus stat isn’t held in high regard as much as it once was, but MacLean is smart to point to Karlsson’s +18 mark. Karlsson isn’t a Weber or a Chara, yet the Senators don’t seem too broken up about it.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)