Jun 19, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
One of three very useful defensemen will win the Norris Trophy on Wednesday night, but there’s the sense that a tradition will be broken. In many cases, high-end offense can distinguish one defenseman from another in the history of this award, yet the general mood indicates that Erik Karlsson‘s “deficiencies” might hold him back.
Maybe it was just the warming glow of a hefty new contract, but Karlsson might as well have shrugged his shoulders at that line of criticism.
“I’ll probably hear about that for the rest of my life,” Karlsson said.
Considering the fact that Karlsson is just 22, that hockey “life” should be long. His coach – and fellow award nominee – Paul MacLean also emphasizes the stronger points of his game.
“Erik Karlsson is never going to be Shea Weber. He’s not going to run people through the rink,” MacLean said. “He’s not Zdeno Chara; he’s not six-foot-eight. But what Karlsson can do better than those guys is skate. That’s what separates him from everybody else.”
The plus/minus stat isn’t held in high regard as much as it once was, but MacLean is smart to point to Karlsson’s +18 mark. Karlsson isn’t a Weber or a Chara, yet the Senators don’t seem too broken up about it.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 0
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 105
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 77
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (106)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)