Jun 19, 2012, 10:13 PM EDT
One of three very useful defensemen will win the Norris Trophy on Wednesday night, but there’s the sense that a tradition will be broken. In many cases, high-end offense can distinguish one defenseman from another in the history of this award, yet the general mood indicates that Erik Karlsson‘s “deficiencies” might hold him back.
Maybe it was just the warming glow of a hefty new contract, but Karlsson might as well have shrugged his shoulders at that line of criticism.
“I’ll probably hear about that for the rest of my life,” Karlsson said.
Considering the fact that Karlsson is just 22, that hockey “life” should be long. His coach – and fellow award nominee – Paul MacLean also emphasizes the stronger points of his game.
“Erik Karlsson is never going to be Shea Weber. He’s not going to run people through the rink,” MacLean said. “He’s not Zdeno Chara; he’s not six-foot-eight. But what Karlsson can do better than those guys is skate. That’s what separates him from everybody else.”
The plus/minus stat isn’t held in high regard as much as it once was, but MacLean is smart to point to Karlsson’s +18 mark. Karlsson isn’t a Weber or a Chara, yet the Senators don’t seem too broken up about it.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 7
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 37
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)