Jun 19, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings are destined to be big players in free agency this summer, but they got things off to a start today by taking care of one of their own.
Darren Dreger of TSN reports the Wings have re-signed center Darren Helm to a four-year, $8.5 million deal to keep him in town as their grind line terror. Helm’s deal works out to a $2.125 million cap hit. Helm is a third line player for Detroit and while paying him just over $2 million a year might seem high, Colorado is paying David Jones $4 million a season to play on their third line.
Last season, Helm scored nine goals and added 17 assists in 68 games and had a career-high 12 goals two seasons ago. He’s not asked to contribute big offense but rather to help contain opposing forwards and perform on the penalty kill. If he ever figured out how to finish on breakaways, Helm’s speed would make him a huge threat shorthanded. As it is, Detroit is apparently more than happy with what they get out of him now.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)