Jun 19, 2012, 10:06 PM EDT
Shoalts refers specifically to the Toronto Maple Leafs, previously believed to be interested in Tomas Vokoun (signed with Pittsburgh) and Harding. But with those two off the market, the list of available UFA goalies gets pretty thin.
One unnamed general manager told Shoalts that Canucks GM Mike Gillis has “the top guy to trade right now,” referring to Luongo.
And it’s true – he is the best goalie on the market. But what about the contract he comes with?
The Canucks are reportedly telling interested teams they have “multiple offers” on Luongo.
Of course, even if they’re telling the truth and not bluffing, the offers may well involve assets heading to Vancouver that are, in reality, liabilities.
From the outside looking in, Luongo-to-the-Leafs makes sense. However, we might be in for a lengthy game of chicken between Burke and Gillis before anything happens.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)