Jun 19, 2012, 10:06 PM EDT
Shoalts refers specifically to the Toronto Maple Leafs, previously believed to be interested in Tomas Vokoun (signed with Pittsburgh) and Harding. But with those two off the market, the list of available UFA goalies gets pretty thin.
One unnamed general manager told Shoalts that Canucks GM Mike Gillis has “the top guy to trade right now,” referring to Luongo.
And it’s true – he is the best goalie on the market. But what about the contract he comes with?
The Canucks are reportedly telling interested teams they have “multiple offers” on Luongo.
Of course, even if they’re telling the truth and not bluffing, the offers may well involve assets heading to Vancouver that are, in reality, liabilities.
From the outside looking in, Luongo-to-the-Leafs makes sense. However, we might be in for a lengthy game of chicken between Burke and Gillis before anything happens.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63