Jun 19, 2012, 10:06 PM EDT
Shoalts refers specifically to the Toronto Maple Leafs, previously believed to be interested in Tomas Vokoun (signed with Pittsburgh) and Harding. But with those two off the market, the list of available UFA goalies gets pretty thin.
One unnamed general manager told Shoalts that Canucks GM Mike Gillis has “the top guy to trade right now,” referring to Luongo.
And it’s true – he is the best goalie on the market. But what about the contract he comes with?
The Canucks are reportedly telling interested teams they have “multiple offers” on Luongo.
Of course, even if they’re telling the truth and not bluffing, the offers may well involve assets heading to Vancouver that are, in reality, liabilities.
From the outside looking in, Luongo-to-the-Leafs makes sense. However, we might be in for a lengthy game of chicken between Burke and Gillis before anything happens.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 2
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 28
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)