Jun 19, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres want to make a deal. Buffalo isn’t enamored with a lot of the talent in this year’s draft and they’d love to move picks to get established players.
GM Darcy Regier tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News that finding someone to dance with them, however, is proving to be a bit more difficult than they’d hope.
“More calls have gone out than I’ve been receiving,” Regier said. “But that doesn’t mean it won’t change. The tendency is for this thing to ramp up as you approach the draft and when you get on the floor, it gets a little crazier.”
Harrington also reports the Sabres aren’t in love with the Russian talent in the draft. Somewhere, Maxim Afinogenov is nodding his head and saying, “No kidding.”
The Sabres are picking 12th and 21st overall in the first round and if there are teams that see someone they’d like to grab when it’s Buffalo’s turn to pick and the Sabres don’t like what they see, Regier has the chance to check out. If you’re expecting a big return though, you might be left disappointed.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)