Jun 19, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres want to make a deal. Buffalo isn’t enamored with a lot of the talent in this year’s draft and they’d love to move picks to get established players.
GM Darcy Regier tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News that finding someone to dance with them, however, is proving to be a bit more difficult than they’d hope.
“More calls have gone out than I’ve been receiving,” Regier said. “But that doesn’t mean it won’t change. The tendency is for this thing to ramp up as you approach the draft and when you get on the floor, it gets a little crazier.”
Harrington also reports the Sabres aren’t in love with the Russian talent in the draft. Somewhere, Maxim Afinogenov is nodding his head and saying, “No kidding.”
The Sabres are picking 12th and 21st overall in the first round and if there are teams that see someone they’d like to grab when it’s Buffalo’s turn to pick and the Sabres don’t like what they see, Regier has the chance to check out. If you’re expecting a big return though, you might be left disappointed.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 4
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 53
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)