Jun 19, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres want to make a deal. Buffalo isn’t enamored with a lot of the talent in this year’s draft and they’d love to move picks to get established players.
GM Darcy Regier tells Mike Harrington of The Buffalo News that finding someone to dance with them, however, is proving to be a bit more difficult than they’d hope.
“More calls have gone out than I’ve been receiving,” Regier said. “But that doesn’t mean it won’t change. The tendency is for this thing to ramp up as you approach the draft and when you get on the floor, it gets a little crazier.”
Harrington also reports the Sabres aren’t in love with the Russian talent in the draft. Somewhere, Maxim Afinogenov is nodding his head and saying, “No kidding.”
The Sabres are picking 12th and 21st overall in the first round and if there are teams that see someone they’d like to grab when it’s Buffalo’s turn to pick and the Sabres don’t like what they see, Regier has the chance to check out. If you’re expecting a big return though, you might be left disappointed.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)