Jun 18, 2012, 1:38 PM EST
TSN’s Darren Dreger is on point today.
Last week, the Sharks acquired Stuart’s negotiating rights from the Detroit Red Wings.
There’s not much surprise that Stuart signed in San Jose. Upon being traded, he told the Mercury News he hoped San Jose was “my final [NHL] destination,” saying he was tired of the cross-country shuttling between Detroit and the Bay Area, where his wife and kids resided over the last three years.
The only minor surprise is that Stuart didn’t even test free agency in what promises to be a down year for defensemen. Barret Jackman, Matt Hunwick, Johnny Oduya, Jamie McBain and Alexander Sulzer have also done the same recently, leaving a very thin pool for teams to draw from (the top four UFA blueliners at this point could be Ryan Suter, Dennis Wideman, Jason Garrison and Matt Carle.)
Note: Still no word on what type of money the Sharks shelled out for Stuart over the three years. His last deal was a four-year, $15 million contract, signed with Detroit after winning the Stanley Cup in 2008.
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 0
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 2
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)