Jun 18, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger is on point today.
Last week, the Sharks acquired Stuart’s negotiating rights from the Detroit Red Wings.
There’s not much surprise that Stuart signed in San Jose. Upon being traded, he told the Mercury News he hoped San Jose was “my final [NHL] destination,” saying he was tired of the cross-country shuttling between Detroit and the Bay Area, where his wife and kids resided over the last three years.
The only minor surprise is that Stuart didn’t even test free agency in what promises to be a down year for defensemen. Barret Jackman, Matt Hunwick, Johnny Oduya, Jamie McBain and Alexander Sulzer have also done the same recently, leaving a very thin pool for teams to draw from (the top four UFA blueliners at this point could be Ryan Suter, Dennis Wideman, Jason Garrison and Matt Carle.)
Note: Still no word on what type of money the Sharks shelled out for Stuart over the three years. His last deal was a four-year, $15 million contract, signed with Detroit after winning the Stanley Cup in 2008.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)