Jun 18, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger is on point today.
Last week, the Sharks acquired Stuart’s negotiating rights from the Detroit Red Wings.
There’s not much surprise that Stuart signed in San Jose. Upon being traded, he told the Mercury News he hoped San Jose was “my final [NHL] destination,” saying he was tired of the cross-country shuttling between Detroit and the Bay Area, where his wife and kids resided over the last three years.
The only minor surprise is that Stuart didn’t even test free agency in what promises to be a down year for defensemen. Barret Jackman, Matt Hunwick, Johnny Oduya, Jamie McBain and Alexander Sulzer have also done the same recently, leaving a very thin pool for teams to draw from (the top four UFA blueliners at this point could be Ryan Suter, Dennis Wideman, Jason Garrison and Matt Carle.)
Note: Still no word on what type of money the Sharks shelled out for Stuart over the three years. His last deal was a four-year, $15 million contract, signed with Detroit after winning the Stanley Cup in 2008.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)