Jun 18, 2012, 1:38 PM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger is on point today.
Last week, the Sharks acquired Stuart’s negotiating rights from the Detroit Red Wings.
There’s not much surprise that Stuart signed in San Jose. Upon being traded, he told the Mercury News he hoped San Jose was “my final [NHL] destination,” saying he was tired of the cross-country shuttling between Detroit and the Bay Area, where his wife and kids resided over the last three years.
The only minor surprise is that Stuart didn’t even test free agency in what promises to be a down year for defensemen. Barret Jackman, Matt Hunwick, Johnny Oduya, Jamie McBain and Alexander Sulzer have also done the same recently, leaving a very thin pool for teams to draw from (the top four UFA blueliners at this point could be Ryan Suter, Dennis Wideman, Jason Garrison and Matt Carle.)
Note: Still no word on what type of money the Sharks shelled out for Stuart over the three years. His last deal was a four-year, $15 million contract, signed with Detroit after winning the Stanley Cup in 2008.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 2
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)