Jun 18, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars had an opening on their coaching staff when Willie Desjardins was named head coach of their AHL affiliate and now a former Thrashers head coach will fill the void.
Stars GM Joe Nieuwendyk announced the hiring of Curt Fraser as the team’s assistant coach, joining Glen Gulutzan’s staff. Fraser spent the last four years as the head coach of Detroit’s AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids where he brought the Griffins to a 146-130-40 record over that time. He leaves the team as the franchise leader in regular season wins.
Fraser has four years of NHL head coaching experience with the Atlanta Thrashers, leading the team in their first three-and-a-half seasons in the NHL. His record wasn’t too hot going 64-169-31-15 (wins-losses-ties-overtime losses) in that time before being fired in the 2002-03 season.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)