Jun 18, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks, nor the NHL, won’t have Samuel Pahlsson to kick around next season.
The longtime NHL veteran is headed home to play in Sweden after signing a contract with his former team in the Swedish Elite League (link in Swedish), MODO.
Pahlsson was a deadline acquisition for the Canucks in a deal with Columbus. Pahlsson had spent the previous two-and-a-half seasons with the Jackets before going to Vancouver. Before that, he was a Stanley Cup winner in 2007 with Anaheim and also spent time briefly with Chicago and Boston. Now after 11 seasons he’s returning to Sweden where he says he’s happy to be back home.
Pahlsson’s defensive play up front and ability to win faceoffs will be missed in the NHL, although not apparently too much by Canucks fans.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 8
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 10
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation
- Play Video: Bruins rookies have been the x-factor
- Play Video: Finalists for Mark Messier Leadership Award
- Play Video: Bruins turn weakness into strength
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Vokoun makes a big time save on Neil