Jun 18, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks, nor the NHL, won’t have Samuel Pahlsson to kick around next season.
The longtime NHL veteran is headed home to play in Sweden after signing a contract with his former team in the Swedish Elite League (link in Swedish), MODO.
Pahlsson was a deadline acquisition for the Canucks in a deal with Columbus. Pahlsson had spent the previous two-and-a-half seasons with the Jackets before going to Vancouver. Before that, he was a Stanley Cup winner in 2007 with Anaheim and also spent time briefly with Chicago and Boston. Now after 11 seasons he’s returning to Sweden where he says he’s happy to be back home.
Pahlsson’s defensive play up front and ability to win faceoffs will be missed in the NHL, although not apparently too much by Canucks fans.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4