Jun 18, 2012, 12:43 PM EST
The 40-year-old Czech will reportedly test free agent waters on July 1, a surprising development given earlier reports that Jagr’s agent (Petr Svoboda) was working with the Flyers on a new deal.
“I’ve talked to Jaromir and I have talked to Paul [Holmgren] and we hope to get something done before the draft,” Svoboda said at the time.
That report (courtesy CSN Philadelphia) was on June 6, so it’s hard to figure what transpired over the course of 12 days to cause an about-face from Jagr’s camp.
If we had to guess, it could’ve come down to what role he would’ve played next year — after the Flyers were eliminated from the playoffs, Jagr expressed frustration at his ice time under head coach Peter Laviolette and wouldn’t publicly commit to re-signing in Philadelphia.
Dreger notes that Jagr “plans to change training to shed some [pounds] and get faster,” which you can construe any way you’d like. I’ll construe it as the NHL being a young man’s game and Jagr realizing his role in Philly next season could’ve been minimized by the sure-to-be-expanded-roles of Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn and Matt Read.
But what you really have to wonder is if Jagr/Svoboda looked at the impending free-agent forward pool and said “hey, why not test this thing out?” Jagr’s 54 points (in just 73 games) last year put him tied for seventh among potential UFAs, behind only Ray Whitney, Zach Parise, PA Parenteau, Teemu Selanne, Olli Jokinen and Alex Semin.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 15
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)