Jun 18, 2012, 12:43 PM EST
The 40-year-old Czech will reportedly test free agent waters on July 1, a surprising development given earlier reports that Jagr’s agent (Petr Svoboda) was working with the Flyers on a new deal.
“I’ve talked to Jaromir and I have talked to Paul [Holmgren] and we hope to get something done before the draft,” Svoboda said at the time.
That report (courtesy CSN Philadelphia) was on June 6, so it’s hard to figure what transpired over the course of 12 days to cause an about-face from Jagr’s camp.
If we had to guess, it could’ve come down to what role he would’ve played next year — after the Flyers were eliminated from the playoffs, Jagr expressed frustration at his ice time under head coach Peter Laviolette and wouldn’t publicly commit to re-signing in Philadelphia.
Dreger notes that Jagr “plans to change training to shed some [pounds] and get faster,” which you can construe any way you’d like. I’ll construe it as the NHL being a young man’s game and Jagr realizing his role in Philly next season could’ve been minimized by the sure-to-be-expanded-roles of Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn and Matt Read.
But what you really have to wonder is if Jagr/Svoboda looked at the impending free-agent forward pool and said “hey, why not test this thing out?” Jagr’s 54 points (in just 73 games) last year put him tied for seventh among potential UFAs, behind only Ray Whitney, Zach Parise, PA Parenteau, Teemu Selanne, Olli Jokinen and Alex Semin.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5