Jun 18, 2012, 12:43 PM EDT
The 40-year-old Czech will reportedly test free agent waters on July 1, a surprising development given earlier reports that Jagr’s agent (Petr Svoboda) was working with the Flyers on a new deal.
“I’ve talked to Jaromir and I have talked to Paul [Holmgren] and we hope to get something done before the draft,” Svoboda said at the time.
That report (courtesy CSN Philadelphia) was on June 6, so it’s hard to figure what transpired over the course of 12 days to cause an about-face from Jagr’s camp.
If we had to guess, it could’ve come down to what role he would’ve played next year — after the Flyers were eliminated from the playoffs, Jagr expressed frustration at his ice time under head coach Peter Laviolette and wouldn’t publicly commit to re-signing in Philadelphia.
Dreger notes that Jagr “plans to change training to shed some [pounds] and get faster,” which you can construe any way you’d like. I’ll construe it as the NHL being a young man’s game and Jagr realizing his role in Philly next season could’ve been minimized by the sure-to-be-expanded-roles of Sean Couturier, Brayden Schenn and Matt Read.
But what you really have to wonder is if Jagr/Svoboda looked at the impending free-agent forward pool and said “hey, why not test this thing out?” Jagr’s 54 points (in just 73 games) last year put him tied for seventh among potential UFAs, behind only Ray Whitney, Zach Parise, PA Parenteau, Teemu Selanne, Olli Jokinen and Alex Semin.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 17
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 25
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)