Jun 18, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been nothing if not bold. Last summer, he traded Jeff Carter and Mike Richard while inking Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year/$51 million contract. What will he do for an encore?
The Philadelphia Flyers intend to make inquires about Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, according to an NHL source that Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer recently cited.
“If we can improve our team, we’ll do what it takes,” Holmgren said, referring to free agents in general.
The New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators are expected to try and re-sign Parise and Suter respectively. That means that neither player’s negotiating rights are likely to be traded and the Philadelphia Flyers – along with the rest of the league – will have to wait and see if either of them test the free agent waters. In the case of Suter, that seems very likely.
Naturally, wanting a player and actually being able to get him are two entirely different things. According to Cap Geek, Philadelphia already has $61,218,373 in cap space dedicated to 20 players next season. However, as was previously stated, Holmgren isn’t afraid to make bold moves to get what he wants and the Philadelphia Flyers certainly can’t be ruled out when the free agent period starts.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 15
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 88
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 12
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 34
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (88)