Jun 18, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been nothing if not bold. Last summer, he traded Jeff Carter and Mike Richard while inking Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year/$51 million contract. What will he do for an encore?
The Philadelphia Flyers intend to make inquires about Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, according to an NHL source that Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer recently cited.
“If we can improve our team, we’ll do what it takes,” Holmgren said, referring to free agents in general.
The New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators are expected to try and re-sign Parise and Suter respectively. That means that neither player’s negotiating rights are likely to be traded and the Philadelphia Flyers – along with the rest of the league – will have to wait and see if either of them test the free agent waters. In the case of Suter, that seems very likely.
Naturally, wanting a player and actually being able to get him are two entirely different things. According to Cap Geek, Philadelphia already has $61,218,373 in cap space dedicated to 20 players next season. However, as was previously stated, Holmgren isn’t afraid to make bold moves to get what he wants and the Philadelphia Flyers certainly can’t be ruled out when the free agent period starts.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)