Jun 18, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been nothing if not bold. Last summer, he traded Jeff Carter and Mike Richard while inking Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year/$51 million contract. What will he do for an encore?
The Philadelphia Flyers intend to make inquires about Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, according to an NHL source that Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer recently cited.
“If we can improve our team, we’ll do what it takes,” Holmgren said, referring to free agents in general.
The New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators are expected to try and re-sign Parise and Suter respectively. That means that neither player’s negotiating rights are likely to be traded and the Philadelphia Flyers – along with the rest of the league – will have to wait and see if either of them test the free agent waters. In the case of Suter, that seems very likely.
Naturally, wanting a player and actually being able to get him are two entirely different things. According to Cap Geek, Philadelphia already has $61,218,373 in cap space dedicated to 20 players next season. However, as was previously stated, Holmgren isn’t afraid to make bold moves to get what he wants and the Philadelphia Flyers certainly can’t be ruled out when the free agent period starts.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 11
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 17
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)