Jun 18, 2012, 7:04 PM EST
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been nothing if not bold. Last summer, he traded Jeff Carter and Mike Richard while inking Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year/$51 million contract. What will he do for an encore?
The Philadelphia Flyers intend to make inquires about Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, according to an NHL source that Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer recently cited.
“If we can improve our team, we’ll do what it takes,” Holmgren said, referring to free agents in general.
The New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators are expected to try and re-sign Parise and Suter respectively. That means that neither player’s negotiating rights are likely to be traded and the Philadelphia Flyers – along with the rest of the league – will have to wait and see if either of them test the free agent waters. In the case of Suter, that seems very likely.
Naturally, wanting a player and actually being able to get him are two entirely different things. According to Cap Geek, Philadelphia already has $61,218,373 in cap space dedicated to 20 players next season. However, as was previously stated, Holmgren isn’t afraid to make bold moves to get what he wants and the Philadelphia Flyers certainly can’t be ruled out when the free agent period starts.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)