Jun 18, 2012, 7:04 PM EST
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been nothing if not bold. Last summer, he traded Jeff Carter and Mike Richard while inking Ilya Bryzgalov to a nine-year/$51 million contract. What will he do for an encore?
The Philadelphia Flyers intend to make inquires about Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, according to an NHL source that Sam Carchidi of The Philadelphia Inquirer recently cited.
“If we can improve our team, we’ll do what it takes,” Holmgren said, referring to free agents in general.
The New Jersey Devils and Nashville Predators are expected to try and re-sign Parise and Suter respectively. That means that neither player’s negotiating rights are likely to be traded and the Philadelphia Flyers – along with the rest of the league – will have to wait and see if either of them test the free agent waters. In the case of Suter, that seems very likely.
Naturally, wanting a player and actually being able to get him are two entirely different things. According to Cap Geek, Philadelphia already has $61,218,373 in cap space dedicated to 20 players next season. However, as was previously stated, Holmgren isn’t afraid to make bold moves to get what he wants and the Philadelphia Flyers certainly can’t be ruled out when the free agent period starts.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)