Jun 18, 2012, 6:23 PM EST
You don’t have to tell Brandon Dubinsky that his 2011-12 campaign was something of a disappointment. He knows that and he’s focused on bouncing back next season. The question now is if he’ll be attempting that comeback as a member of the New York Rangers.
TEAM 1200, which is a sports radio station in Ottawa, has heard rumors that the Rangers are “aggressively” shopping Dubinsky. Obviously, rumors always have to be taken with a grain of salt, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he was dealt this week.
The New York Rangers want to make some changes this summer and they are reportedly still after Rick Nash. Their cap situation isn’t bad, but it is a bit murky when you factor in that we won’t know what the salary cap will be after the NHL and players’ union agree on a new CBA.
If they wanted to either pursue a big name free agent or trade for a star like Nash, they’ll probably want to partially offset that by shedding some salary elsewhere. With Dubinsky costing them $4.2 million annually in cap space, he seems like a logical candidate to be shopped.
With the NHL Entry Draft rapidly approaching and the start of the unrestricted free agent period less than two weeks ago, we might not have to wait long to find out if this rumor has legs.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)