Jun 18, 2012, 6:23 PM EST
You don’t have to tell Brandon Dubinsky that his 2011-12 campaign was something of a disappointment. He knows that and he’s focused on bouncing back next season. The question now is if he’ll be attempting that comeback as a member of the New York Rangers.
TEAM 1200, which is a sports radio station in Ottawa, has heard rumors that the Rangers are “aggressively” shopping Dubinsky. Obviously, rumors always have to be taken with a grain of salt, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he was dealt this week.
The New York Rangers want to make some changes this summer and they are reportedly still after Rick Nash. Their cap situation isn’t bad, but it is a bit murky when you factor in that we won’t know what the salary cap will be after the NHL and players’ union agree on a new CBA.
If they wanted to either pursue a big name free agent or trade for a star like Nash, they’ll probably want to partially offset that by shedding some salary elsewhere. With Dubinsky costing them $4.2 million annually in cap space, he seems like a logical candidate to be shopped.
With the NHL Entry Draft rapidly approaching and the start of the unrestricted free agent period less than two weeks ago, we might not have to wait long to find out if this rumor has legs.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)