Jun 18, 2012, 6:23 PM EDT
You don’t have to tell Brandon Dubinsky that his 2011-12 campaign was something of a disappointment. He knows that and he’s focused on bouncing back next season. The question now is if he’ll be attempting that comeback as a member of the New York Rangers.
TEAM 1200, which is a sports radio station in Ottawa, has heard rumors that the Rangers are “aggressively” shopping Dubinsky. Obviously, rumors always have to be taken with a grain of salt, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he was dealt this week.
The New York Rangers want to make some changes this summer and they are reportedly still after Rick Nash. Their cap situation isn’t bad, but it is a bit murky when you factor in that we won’t know what the salary cap will be after the NHL and players’ union agree on a new CBA.
If they wanted to either pursue a big name free agent or trade for a star like Nash, they’ll probably want to partially offset that by shedding some salary elsewhere. With Dubinsky costing them $4.2 million annually in cap space, he seems like a logical candidate to be shopped.
With the NHL Entry Draft rapidly approaching and the start of the unrestricted free agent period less than two weeks ago, we might not have to wait long to find out if this rumor has legs.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 18
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 11
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 41
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)