Jun 18, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
When doing research on Anders Lindback, Steve Yzerman didn’t have to go far for references — he had one in house.
See, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is quite familiar with Lindback. The two were teammates on Sweden’s World Junior team and played against each other in the Swedish Elite League prior to coming over to the NHL — which gave Hedman plenty of opportunities to scout Lindback.
According to the Bolts blueliner, he liked what he saw.
“He’s a great goaltender,” Hedman told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s a big guy with ability, he’s a modern goalie. He’s very fast, he’s flexible, and his mobility is unbelievable.
“He’s ready to come into Tampa, and get the opportunity. It’s going to be a challenge for him, but he’s ready for it.”
It’s going to be interesting to see if Lindback can handle a starter’s load. He’s got a limited body of work at the NHL level and his resume prior to coming to North America wasn’t exactly loaded — Lindback was stuck behind Jacob Markstrom with Brynas IF Gavle of the SEL before moving to Timra IK and becoming the starter (even then, he only appeared in 42 games.)
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)