Jun 18, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
When doing research on Anders Lindback, Steve Yzerman didn’t have to go far for references — he had one in house.
See, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is quite familiar with Lindback. The two were teammates on Sweden’s World Junior team and played against each other in the Swedish Elite League prior to coming over to the NHL — which gave Hedman plenty of opportunities to scout Lindback.
According to the Bolts blueliner, he liked what he saw.
“He’s a great goaltender,” Hedman told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s a big guy with ability, he’s a modern goalie. He’s very fast, he’s flexible, and his mobility is unbelievable.
“He’s ready to come into Tampa, and get the opportunity. It’s going to be a challenge for him, but he’s ready for it.”
It’s going to be interesting to see if Lindback can handle a starter’s load. He’s got a limited body of work at the NHL level and his resume prior to coming to North America wasn’t exactly loaded — Lindback was stuck behind Jacob Markstrom with Brynas IF Gavle of the SEL before moving to Timra IK and becoming the starter (even then, he only appeared in 42 games.)
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 8
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)