Jun 18, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
When doing research on Anders Lindback, Steve Yzerman didn’t have to go far for references — he had one in house.
See, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is quite familiar with Lindback. The two were teammates on Sweden’s World Junior team and played against each other in the Swedish Elite League prior to coming over to the NHL — which gave Hedman plenty of opportunities to scout Lindback.
According to the Bolts blueliner, he liked what he saw.
“He’s a great goaltender,” Hedman told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s a big guy with ability, he’s a modern goalie. He’s very fast, he’s flexible, and his mobility is unbelievable.
“He’s ready to come into Tampa, and get the opportunity. It’s going to be a challenge for him, but he’s ready for it.”
It’s going to be interesting to see if Lindback can handle a starter’s load. He’s got a limited body of work at the NHL level and his resume prior to coming to North America wasn’t exactly loaded — Lindback was stuck behind Jacob Markstrom with Brynas IF Gavle of the SEL before moving to Timra IK and becoming the starter (even then, he only appeared in 42 games.)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)