Jun 18, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
When doing research on Anders Lindback, Steve Yzerman didn’t have to go far for references — he had one in house.
See, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is quite familiar with Lindback. The two were teammates on Sweden’s World Junior team and played against each other in the Swedish Elite League prior to coming over to the NHL — which gave Hedman plenty of opportunities to scout Lindback.
According to the Bolts blueliner, he liked what he saw.
“He’s a great goaltender,” Hedman told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s a big guy with ability, he’s a modern goalie. He’s very fast, he’s flexible, and his mobility is unbelievable.
“He’s ready to come into Tampa, and get the opportunity. It’s going to be a challenge for him, but he’s ready for it.”
It’s going to be interesting to see if Lindback can handle a starter’s load. He’s got a limited body of work at the NHL level and his resume prior to coming to North America wasn’t exactly loaded — Lindback was stuck behind Jacob Markstrom with Brynas IF Gavle of the SEL before moving to Timra IK and becoming the starter (even then, he only appeared in 42 games.)
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 0
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 1
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 9
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)