Jun 18, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
When doing research on Anders Lindback, Steve Yzerman didn’t have to go far for references — he had one in house.
See, Tampa Bay Lightning defenseman Victor Hedman is quite familiar with Lindback. The two were teammates on Sweden’s World Junior team and played against each other in the Swedish Elite League prior to coming over to the NHL — which gave Hedman plenty of opportunities to scout Lindback.
According to the Bolts blueliner, he liked what he saw.
“He’s a great goaltender,” Hedman told the Tampa Bay Times. “He’s a big guy with ability, he’s a modern goalie. He’s very fast, he’s flexible, and his mobility is unbelievable.
“He’s ready to come into Tampa, and get the opportunity. It’s going to be a challenge for him, but he’s ready for it.”
It’s going to be interesting to see if Lindback can handle a starter’s load. He’s got a limited body of work at the NHL level and his resume prior to coming to North America wasn’t exactly loaded — Lindback was stuck behind Jacob Markstrom with Brynas IF Gavle of the SEL before moving to Timra IK and becoming the starter (even then, he only appeared in 42 games.)
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 53
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)