Jun 18, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
We’re no law-talking guys here at PHT, so we couldn’t very well handicap tomorrow’s Goldwater-Glendale court battle in which the taxpayer watchdog group will attempt to invalidate a vote approving a lease for the Phoenix Coyotes at the city-owned Jobing.com Arena.
Fortunately, the Arizona Republic spoke to a couple of law-talking guys to get their takes, and what they said should make Coyotes fans happy.
“No matter what the facts, there’s always a high bar there,” Phoenix-based constitutional-law attorney Dan Barr told the paper. “The courts aren’t going to (step in) merely because they disagree with it. Usually, the violation has to be pretty blatant.”
Added David Derickson, a Phoenix-based defense attorney: “For me, as a former judge and a legal observer, I would think it would be very difficult for the court to interfere with a lawful process.”
If Goldwater’s lawsuit does fail tomorrow, the vote won’t actually go into effect for about a month, according to the paper. Whether that could delay the sale even further isn’t clear.
It’s also possible Goldwater could end up suing Glendale for violating the state’s gift clause.
And we still don’t know if Greg Jamison has the money in place to buy the team.
Otherwise it’s full speed ahead!
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)