Jun 18, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
We’re no law-talking guys here at PHT, so we couldn’t very well handicap tomorrow’s Goldwater-Glendale court battle in which the taxpayer watchdog group will attempt to invalidate a vote approving a lease for the Phoenix Coyotes at the city-owned Jobing.com Arena.
Fortunately, the Arizona Republic spoke to a couple of law-talking guys to get their takes, and what they said should make Coyotes fans happy.
“No matter what the facts, there’s always a high bar there,” Phoenix-based constitutional-law attorney Dan Barr told the paper. “The courts aren’t going to (step in) merely because they disagree with it. Usually, the violation has to be pretty blatant.”
Added David Derickson, a Phoenix-based defense attorney: “For me, as a former judge and a legal observer, I would think it would be very difficult for the court to interfere with a lawful process.”
If Goldwater’s lawsuit does fail tomorrow, the vote won’t actually go into effect for about a month, according to the paper. Whether that could delay the sale even further isn’t clear.
It’s also possible Goldwater could end up suing Glendale for violating the state’s gift clause.
And we still don’t know if Greg Jamison has the money in place to buy the team.
Otherwise it’s full speed ahead!
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (54)