Jun 18, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
We’re no law-talking guys here at PHT, so we couldn’t very well handicap tomorrow’s Goldwater-Glendale court battle in which the taxpayer watchdog group will attempt to invalidate a vote approving a lease for the Phoenix Coyotes at the city-owned Jobing.com Arena.
Fortunately, the Arizona Republic spoke to a couple of law-talking guys to get their takes, and what they said should make Coyotes fans happy.
“No matter what the facts, there’s always a high bar there,” Phoenix-based constitutional-law attorney Dan Barr told the paper. “The courts aren’t going to (step in) merely because they disagree with it. Usually, the violation has to be pretty blatant.”
Added David Derickson, a Phoenix-based defense attorney: “For me, as a former judge and a legal observer, I would think it would be very difficult for the court to interfere with a lawful process.”
If Goldwater’s lawsuit does fail tomorrow, the vote won’t actually go into effect for about a month, according to the paper. Whether that could delay the sale even further isn’t clear.
It’s also possible Goldwater could end up suing Glendale for violating the state’s gift clause.
And we still don’t know if Greg Jamison has the money in place to buy the team.
Otherwise it’s full speed ahead!
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)