Jun 18, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
Barret Jackman isn’t going anywhere. The 31-year-old defenseman has signed a three-year, $9.5 million contract extension with the St. Louis Blues, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch.
In staying with the team that drafted him 17th overall in 1999, Jackman takes a slight pay cut. His cap hit falls to $3.167 million from $3.625 million.
Jackman had been pondering his future in St. Louis before signing. He could’ve become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, a route he was willing to explore in order to remain a top-four defenseman.
He probably left some money on the table to stay put; however, for a guy with a young family that’s been with the same organization his entire NHL career, it’s not entirely unexpected.
“St. Louis is our home and my family and I are excited to be staying,” said Jackman in a release. “I am proud of the progress we made this season but our fans deserve a championship and our team will not be satisfied until we achieve that goal.”
Jackman’s contract reportedly comes with a no-trade clause.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)