Jun 18, 2012, 1:02 PM EDT
Barret Jackman isn’t going anywhere. The 31-year-old defenseman has signed a three-year, $9.5 million contract extension with the St. Louis Blues, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch.
In staying with the team that drafted him 17th overall in 1999, Jackman takes a slight pay cut. His cap hit falls to $3.167 million from $3.625 million.
Jackman had been pondering his future in St. Louis before signing. He could’ve become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, a route he was willing to explore in order to remain a top-four defenseman.
He probably left some money on the table to stay put; however, for a guy with a young family that’s been with the same organization his entire NHL career, it’s not entirely unexpected.
“St. Louis is our home and my family and I are excited to be staying,” said Jackman in a release. “I am proud of the progress we made this season but our fans deserve a championship and our team will not be satisfied until we achieve that goal.”
Jackman’s contract reportedly comes with a no-trade clause.
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 1
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 7
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 17
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 61
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 93
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (94)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games