Jun 18, 2012, 1:02 PM EST
Barret Jackman isn’t going anywhere. The 31-year-old defenseman has signed a three-year, $9.5 million contract extension with the St. Louis Blues, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch.
In staying with the team that drafted him 17th overall in 1999, Jackman takes a slight pay cut. His cap hit falls to $3.167 million from $3.625 million.
Jackman had been pondering his future in St. Louis before signing. He could’ve become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, a route he was willing to explore in order to remain a top-four defenseman.
He probably left some money on the table to stay put; however, for a guy with a young family that’s been with the same organization his entire NHL career, it’s not entirely unexpected.
“St. Louis is our home and my family and I are excited to be staying,” said Jackman in a release. “I am proud of the progress we made this season but our fans deserve a championship and our team will not be satisfied until we achieve that goal.”
Jackman’s contract reportedly comes with a no-trade clause.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 0
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (81)