Jun 18, 2012, 1:02 PM EST
Barret Jackman isn’t going anywhere. The 31-year-old defenseman has signed a three-year, $9.5 million contract extension with the St. Louis Blues, according to Jeremy Rutherford of the Post-Dispatch.
In staying with the team that drafted him 17th overall in 1999, Jackman takes a slight pay cut. His cap hit falls to $3.167 million from $3.625 million.
Jackman had been pondering his future in St. Louis before signing. He could’ve become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, a route he was willing to explore in order to remain a top-four defenseman.
He probably left some money on the table to stay put; however, for a guy with a young family that’s been with the same organization his entire NHL career, it’s not entirely unexpected.
“St. Louis is our home and my family and I are excited to be staying,” said Jackman in a release. “I am proud of the progress we made this season but our fans deserve a championship and our team will not be satisfied until we achieve that goal.”
Jackman’s contract reportedly comes with a no-trade clause.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 16
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 5
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)