Jun 18, 2012, 6:38 PM EDT
You can put the San Jose Sharks’ coaching rumors to rest. After a fair amount of speculation, the NHL.com is reporting that Sharks GM Doug Wilson has officially announced that Todd McLellan will stay on as the team’s head coach.
McLellan has served as the San Jose Sharks head coach for four straight seasons. Over his tenure, the team has enjoyed considerable success in the regular season. They have won the Pacific Division three times and claimed the Presidents’ Trophy in 2008–09.
At the same time, McLellan hasn’t been able to fully thwart the Sharks reputation as under-performers in the playoffs. They did make some progress by advancing to the Western Conference Finals in 2010 and 2011, but they were eliminated in the first round by the St. Louis Blues this season.
With Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau both slowly marching out of their prime, there should be a sense of urgency for the Sharks to win the Stanley Cup before their window of opportunity starts to fade away.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 2
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 13
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 67
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte