Jun 18, 2012, 6:38 PM EST
You can put the San Jose Sharks’ coaching rumors to rest. After a fair amount of speculation, the NHL.com is reporting that Sharks GM Doug Wilson has officially announced that Todd McLellan will stay on as the team’s head coach.
McLellan has served as the San Jose Sharks head coach for four straight seasons. Over his tenure, the team has enjoyed considerable success in the regular season. They have won the Pacific Division three times and claimed the Presidents’ Trophy in 2008–09.
At the same time, McLellan hasn’t been able to fully thwart the Sharks reputation as under-performers in the playoffs. They did make some progress by advancing to the Western Conference Finals in 2010 and 2011, but they were eliminated in the first round by the St. Louis Blues this season.
With Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau both slowly marching out of their prime, there should be a sense of urgency for the Sharks to win the Stanley Cup before their window of opportunity starts to fade away.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)