Jun 18, 2012, 8:33 PM EDT
Since 2005 when the Anaheim Ducks got Bobby Ryan with the second overall pick, they haven’t had a higher selection than 12th overall. That’s set to change, as the Anaheim Ducks control the sixth overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Although there’s bound to be plenty of trade speculation in the lead up to the draft, Ducks GM Bob Murray told the Orange County Register that he’s comfortable holding on to the sixth pick.
“First of all, six is a good spot,” Murray said. “If we pick at six, we’re going to get a good player. This draft, I don’t view as one where guys at the very top are that much better than the guys that are at 12 or 13. It’s one of those drafts where it’s kind of an even rating through the first 15 guys.”
Murray doesn’t think the Anaheim Ducks will end up moving up or down in the draft, though he won’t completely dismiss the possibility. However, it sounds like, if anything, he would be more inclined to trade down a few spots than do the reverse.
”I would suggest to you that you could do just as well at 13, 14, 15 as you could at two, three or four,” Murray said.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)