Jun 18, 2012, 8:33 PM EDT
Since 2005 when the Anaheim Ducks got Bobby Ryan with the second overall pick, they haven’t had a higher selection than 12th overall. That’s set to change, as the Anaheim Ducks control the sixth overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Although there’s bound to be plenty of trade speculation in the lead up to the draft, Ducks GM Bob Murray told the Orange County Register that he’s comfortable holding on to the sixth pick.
“First of all, six is a good spot,” Murray said. “If we pick at six, we’re going to get a good player. This draft, I don’t view as one where guys at the very top are that much better than the guys that are at 12 or 13. It’s one of those drafts where it’s kind of an even rating through the first 15 guys.”
Murray doesn’t think the Anaheim Ducks will end up moving up or down in the draft, though he won’t completely dismiss the possibility. However, it sounds like, if anything, he would be more inclined to trade down a few spots than do the reverse.
”I would suggest to you that you could do just as well at 13, 14, 15 as you could at two, three or four,” Murray said.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 0
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)