Jun 18, 2012, 8:33 PM EST
Since 2005 when the Anaheim Ducks got Bobby Ryan with the second overall pick, they haven’t had a higher selection than 12th overall. That’s set to change, as the Anaheim Ducks control the sixth overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Although there’s bound to be plenty of trade speculation in the lead up to the draft, Ducks GM Bob Murray told the Orange County Register that he’s comfortable holding on to the sixth pick.
“First of all, six is a good spot,” Murray said. “If we pick at six, we’re going to get a good player. This draft, I don’t view as one where guys at the very top are that much better than the guys that are at 12 or 13. It’s one of those drafts where it’s kind of an even rating through the first 15 guys.”
Murray doesn’t think the Anaheim Ducks will end up moving up or down in the draft, though he won’t completely dismiss the possibility. However, it sounds like, if anything, he would be more inclined to trade down a few spots than do the reverse.
”I would suggest to you that you could do just as well at 13, 14, 15 as you could at two, three or four,” Murray said.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)