Jun 17, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
You’re going to find this one hard to believe, but the Montreal Canadiens apparently have no designs on trading P.K. Subban.
So reports Arthur Staple of New York Newsday who sniffed around at possible offseason trades for Garth Snow and the Islanders and finds out Montreal isn’t looking to move their top young defenseman.
A restricted free agent such as the Canadiens’ P.K. Subban would have gotten Snow to strongly consider dealing the fourth overall pick, but new Montreal GM Marc Bergevin isn’t moving Subban, according to those who’ve spoken with him.
It’s probably very tempting to Bergevin to have back-to-back picks in the top five of the draft, but giving up a 23-year-old defenseman working into his prime is the sort of move that gets you run out of town. After seeing Montreal practically give away Ryan McDonagh to the Rangers a couple years ago, moving the very popular Subban is an instant no-go.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)