Jun 17, 2012, 3:52 PM EST
You’re going to find this one hard to believe, but the Montreal Canadiens apparently have no designs on trading P.K. Subban.
So reports Arthur Staple of New York Newsday who sniffed around at possible offseason trades for Garth Snow and the Islanders and finds out Montreal isn’t looking to move their top young defenseman.
A restricted free agent such as the Canadiens’ P.K. Subban would have gotten Snow to strongly consider dealing the fourth overall pick, but new Montreal GM Marc Bergevin isn’t moving Subban, according to those who’ve spoken with him.
It’s probably very tempting to Bergevin to have back-to-back picks in the top five of the draft, but giving up a 23-year-old defenseman working into his prime is the sort of move that gets you run out of town. After seeing Montreal practically give away Ryan McDonagh to the Rangers a couple years ago, moving the very popular Subban is an instant no-go.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)