Jun 17, 2012, 3:52 PM EDT
You’re going to find this one hard to believe, but the Montreal Canadiens apparently have no designs on trading P.K. Subban.
So reports Arthur Staple of New York Newsday who sniffed around at possible offseason trades for Garth Snow and the Islanders and finds out Montreal isn’t looking to move their top young defenseman.
A restricted free agent such as the Canadiens’ P.K. Subban would have gotten Snow to strongly consider dealing the fourth overall pick, but new Montreal GM Marc Bergevin isn’t moving Subban, according to those who’ve spoken with him.
It’s probably very tempting to Bergevin to have back-to-back picks in the top five of the draft, but giving up a 23-year-old defenseman working into his prime is the sort of move that gets you run out of town. After seeing Montreal practically give away Ryan McDonagh to the Rangers a couple years ago, moving the very popular Subban is an instant no-go.
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (76)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)