Jun 17, 2012, 6:57 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens just finished a grueling season, but Max Pacioretty‘s strong campaign was one of the few pleasant surprises. In some way, you almost wonder if the Habs should encourage him to keep doing what he did last summer, but Pacioretty thinks it’s wiser to take his current approach (which is to catch his breath).
Maybe it didn’t seem noticeable because he had an outstanding sophomore campaign (33 goals, 65 points), yet Pacioretty believes that a rigorous off-season left him a bit exhausted during the season, as he told Dave Stubbs.
“I took so much time off with my injury, and I was so concerned about my head, that I just wanted to skate as much as possible,” Pacioretty said. “It caught up with me a couple times during the year.”
He’s enlisting his parents to try to take a much-needed hockey hiatus.
“I’m having my parents hide my hockey bag for a bit,” Pacioretty said. “I’ve got a charity game in the middle of July and I think that’s when I’m going to pull the bag out and dust it off. I’ll try to skate as much as possible from that date forward. But not until then.”
He’s probably earned the right to take a breather, really. Depending upon how next week goes, he could very well have a Bill Masterton Trophy to his name, too. (Read about that and more in the Montreal Gazette article.)
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)