Jun 17, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings may have had some good luck charms in helping them win the Stanley Cup this year in the form of three pennies.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider shares the story of how Luc Robitaille and Bailey, the Kings mascot, put some lucky charms under the ice at Staples Center.
Back in August, when the lines were painted on the Staples Center surface, three pennies were placed at center ice. Luc Robitaille contributed a 2002 penny, signifying the year he won the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings. The mysterious man behind the Bailey mascot contributed a 2006 penny, signifying the season in which his beloved Indianapolis Colts won the Super Bowl. The third coin, Robitaille said, was from 1893, the year that the Stanley Cup was first awarded, to the Montreal Hockey Club of the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada. On Thursday, Bailey dug the three coins out of the ice.
Who knew the Kings’ mascot was a Colts fan?
We’ve seen this trick done before by Team Canada during the 2002 Olympics when they put a lucky loonie (Canadian dollar coin) under the ice in Salt Lake City.
For the Kings, these three pennies will go down in team lore as the lucky charms the team needed to be the first eighth seeded team to win the Stanley Cup. If only it helped the team have a better record at home in the playoffs as three of their four postseason defeats came at Staples. I think they’ll be OK with having the Stanley Cup to show off to friends anyhow.
(Photo: @BaileyLAKings on Twitter)
- WATCH LIVE: Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 2
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 76
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 32
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 55
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (77)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (55)