Jun 17, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings may have had some good luck charms in helping them win the Stanley Cup this year in the form of three pennies.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider shares the story of how Luc Robitaille and Bailey, the Kings mascot, put some lucky charms under the ice at Staples Center.
Back in August, when the lines were painted on the Staples Center surface, three pennies were placed at center ice. Luc Robitaille contributed a 2002 penny, signifying the year he won the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings. The mysterious man behind the Bailey mascot contributed a 2006 penny, signifying the season in which his beloved Indianapolis Colts won the Super Bowl. The third coin, Robitaille said, was from 1893, the year that the Stanley Cup was first awarded, to the Montreal Hockey Club of the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada. On Thursday, Bailey dug the three coins out of the ice.
Who knew the Kings’ mascot was a Colts fan?
We’ve seen this trick done before by Team Canada during the 2002 Olympics when they put a lucky loonie (Canadian dollar coin) under the ice in Salt Lake City.
For the Kings, these three pennies will go down in team lore as the lucky charms the team needed to be the first eighth seeded team to win the Stanley Cup. If only it helped the team have a better record at home in the playoffs as three of their four postseason defeats came at Staples. I think they’ll be OK with having the Stanley Cup to show off to friends anyhow.
(Photo: @BaileyLAKings on Twitter)
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)