Jun 17, 2012, 11:24 AM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings may have had some good luck charms in helping them win the Stanley Cup this year in the form of three pennies.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider shares the story of how Luc Robitaille and Bailey, the Kings mascot, put some lucky charms under the ice at Staples Center.
Back in August, when the lines were painted on the Staples Center surface, three pennies were placed at center ice. Luc Robitaille contributed a 2002 penny, signifying the year he won the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings. The mysterious man behind the Bailey mascot contributed a 2006 penny, signifying the season in which his beloved Indianapolis Colts won the Super Bowl. The third coin, Robitaille said, was from 1893, the year that the Stanley Cup was first awarded, to the Montreal Hockey Club of the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada. On Thursday, Bailey dug the three coins out of the ice.
Who knew the Kings’ mascot was a Colts fan?
We’ve seen this trick done before by Team Canada during the 2002 Olympics when they put a lucky loonie (Canadian dollar coin) under the ice in Salt Lake City.
For the Kings, these three pennies will go down in team lore as the lucky charms the team needed to be the first eighth seeded team to win the Stanley Cup. If only it helped the team have a better record at home in the playoffs as three of their four postseason defeats came at Staples. I think they’ll be OK with having the Stanley Cup to show off to friends anyhow.
(Photo: @BaileyLAKings on Twitter)
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)