Jun 17, 2012, 11:24 AM EST
The Los Angeles Kings may have had some good luck charms in helping them win the Stanley Cup this year in the form of three pennies.
Rich Hammond of L.A. Kings Insider shares the story of how Luc Robitaille and Bailey, the Kings mascot, put some lucky charms under the ice at Staples Center.
Back in August, when the lines were painted on the Staples Center surface, three pennies were placed at center ice. Luc Robitaille contributed a 2002 penny, signifying the year he won the Stanley Cup with the Detroit Red Wings. The mysterious man behind the Bailey mascot contributed a 2006 penny, signifying the season in which his beloved Indianapolis Colts won the Super Bowl. The third coin, Robitaille said, was from 1893, the year that the Stanley Cup was first awarded, to the Montreal Hockey Club of the Amateur Hockey Association of Canada. On Thursday, Bailey dug the three coins out of the ice.
Who knew the Kings’ mascot was a Colts fan?
We’ve seen this trick done before by Team Canada during the 2002 Olympics when they put a lucky loonie (Canadian dollar coin) under the ice in Salt Lake City.
For the Kings, these three pennies will go down in team lore as the lucky charms the team needed to be the first eighth seeded team to win the Stanley Cup. If only it helped the team have a better record at home in the playoffs as three of their four postseason defeats came at Staples. I think they’ll be OK with having the Stanley Cup to show off to friends anyhow.
(Photo: @BaileyLAKings on Twitter)
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)