Jun 16, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
One team to keep an eye on at this year’s NHL Draft are the Washington Capitals. The Caps have 11 draft picks to work with and GM George McPhee has a team with a lot of question marks surrounding it heading into next season.
As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley finds out from McPhee, the Caps are highly intrigued by what’s going on in this year’s draft.
“We like the draft a lot and we like what we think we can get at 11th and 16,” McPhee said. “There seem to be more [top quality] defensemen than forwards. We have a lot of picks this year, so we’ll be making a lot of picks.”
The Caps get to take advantage of their deal that sent Semyon Varlamov to Colorado in exchange for their first-round pick. With two first-round choices to work with, Washington could help their organizational depth a bit. With needs for skilled forwards and tougher defensemen to better their depth, the Capitals could have a lot of quality players to choose from with at those picks.
McPhee will have to make them count as the Caps have seen most of their youth find their way to Washington while at least one hopeful prospect stays in Russia in Evgeni Kuznetsov, something that doesn’t bother McPhee a whole lot.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)