Jun 16, 2012, 4:39 PM EDT
One team to keep an eye on at this year’s NHL Draft are the Washington Capitals. The Caps have 11 draft picks to work with and GM George McPhee has a team with a lot of question marks surrounding it heading into next season.
As CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley finds out from McPhee, the Caps are highly intrigued by what’s going on in this year’s draft.
“We like the draft a lot and we like what we think we can get at 11th and 16,” McPhee said. “There seem to be more [top quality] defensemen than forwards. We have a lot of picks this year, so we’ll be making a lot of picks.”
The Caps get to take advantage of their deal that sent Semyon Varlamov to Colorado in exchange for their first-round pick. With two first-round choices to work with, Washington could help their organizational depth a bit. With needs for skilled forwards and tougher defensemen to better their depth, the Capitals could have a lot of quality players to choose from with at those picks.
McPhee will have to make them count as the Caps have seen most of their youth find their way to Washington while at least one hopeful prospect stays in Russia in Evgeni Kuznetsov, something that doesn’t bother McPhee a whole lot.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)