Jun 16, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
While the Predators are hoping they’ll be able to keep soon-to-be free agent defenseman Ryan Suter, his former college coach believes his future lies in the Midwest.
University of Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves tells Patrick Knight of KFAN in Minneapolis if fans in Los Angeles and New York were hoping to see Suter sign with their teams they’ll be left pretty disappointed.
“I would say (he would sign) somewhere in the Midwest,” Eaves said, finishing with, “If you take a look at the structure of the states, I think you could go as far south as St. Louis right through up to Detroit and over to Minneapolis. I think you are looking somewhere in the Midwest where he kind of knows the lifestyle he and his family would be getting into.”
Eaves says Suter’s personality makes him more of a quiet, country guy thus making big cities like New York and L.A. much less desirable. There’s been no chatter about St. Louis being interested in Suter, but it’s clear Nashville would love to retain him and both Detroit and Minnesota will back up a truck full of money to get him.
After reading about Suter’s supposed dislike of playing in Philly, perhaps there’s something about him wanting to keep things in the Central time zone.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 15
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)