Jun 16, 2012, 1:55 PM EST
While the Predators are hoping they’ll be able to keep soon-to-be free agent defenseman Ryan Suter, his former college coach believes his future lies in the Midwest.
University of Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves tells Patrick Knight of KFAN in Minneapolis if fans in Los Angeles and New York were hoping to see Suter sign with their teams they’ll be left pretty disappointed.
“I would say (he would sign) somewhere in the Midwest,” Eaves said, finishing with, “If you take a look at the structure of the states, I think you could go as far south as St. Louis right through up to Detroit and over to Minneapolis. I think you are looking somewhere in the Midwest where he kind of knows the lifestyle he and his family would be getting into.”
Eaves says Suter’s personality makes him more of a quiet, country guy thus making big cities like New York and L.A. much less desirable. There’s been no chatter about St. Louis being interested in Suter, but it’s clear Nashville would love to retain him and both Detroit and Minnesota will back up a truck full of money to get him.
After reading about Suter’s supposed dislike of playing in Philly, perhaps there’s something about him wanting to keep things in the Central time zone.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 25
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)