Jun 16, 2012, 1:55 PM EDT
While the Predators are hoping they’ll be able to keep soon-to-be free agent defenseman Ryan Suter, his former college coach believes his future lies in the Midwest.
University of Wisconsin coach Mike Eaves tells Patrick Knight of KFAN in Minneapolis if fans in Los Angeles and New York were hoping to see Suter sign with their teams they’ll be left pretty disappointed.
“I would say (he would sign) somewhere in the Midwest,” Eaves said, finishing with, “If you take a look at the structure of the states, I think you could go as far south as St. Louis right through up to Detroit and over to Minneapolis. I think you are looking somewhere in the Midwest where he kind of knows the lifestyle he and his family would be getting into.”
Eaves says Suter’s personality makes him more of a quiet, country guy thus making big cities like New York and L.A. much less desirable. There’s been no chatter about St. Louis being interested in Suter, but it’s clear Nashville would love to retain him and both Detroit and Minnesota will back up a truck full of money to get him.
After reading about Suter’s supposed dislike of playing in Philly, perhaps there’s something about him wanting to keep things in the Central time zone.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)