Jun 16, 2012, 3:41 PM EST
Yesterday’s announcement that referee Stephane Auger decided to retire from the NHL after 13 years at age 41 came as a bit of a surprise. After all, referees retiring well into what should be the prime of their career is a bit strange.
It’s so much of a surprise, in fact, David Shoalts of The Globe And Mail believes it may not have been Auger’s decision to retire.
The Montreal native decided to retire at the age of 41, the league release claimed, “in order to spend more time with his wife and three children.” There was no mention of a private income, recent inheritance or lottery win that would make this possible.
However, if Auger was forced to the retirement line, as some of his peers suspect, he is entitled to a severance package that will allow him as much as a couple of years as a stay-at-home dad, depending on his length of service. Auger could not be reached for comment but the fact he was not given a farewell season, as many referees are, also indicates the “retirement” was not his choice.
Auger hasn’t been the best of officials in the league. In fact, you could argue he’s been one of the poorer men in stripes in the league. Working just 10 playoff games in 13 seasons of work shows as much. If this was the league’s way of saying, “Go out on your own terms or ours” though, Auger made the right call to leave with his head held high.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 19
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)