Jun 15, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
Ryan Suter might not have a list of teams he’s asking to be traded to, but that doesn’t mean the Nashville Predators are on the verge of signing him.
Predators GM David Poile thinks the Suter saga will drag on to July 1, which is when he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. At that point, Suter can sign with any team he wants, and there will probably be plenty of interested parties.
The Philadelphia Flyers and Detroit Red Wings are popular candidates for his services. Both are eager to upgrade their defensive corps and Detroit certainly has the cap space to make it work. Philadelphia’s cap situation isn’t nearly as good, but they’ve shown a willingness to be creative and bold.
Of course, the Nashville Predators still can’t be ruled out, but things aren’t looking good for them. They’ve had plenty of time to make something work and if they aren’t able to lock him up before July 1, then it’s hard to see Suter choosing them over his alternates.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 19
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)