Jun 15, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
Ryan Suter might not have a list of teams he’s asking to be traded to, but that doesn’t mean the Nashville Predators are on the verge of signing him.
Predators GM David Poile thinks the Suter saga will drag on to July 1, which is when he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent. At that point, Suter can sign with any team he wants, and there will probably be plenty of interested parties.
The Philadelphia Flyers and Detroit Red Wings are popular candidates for his services. Both are eager to upgrade their defensive corps and Detroit certainly has the cap space to make it work. Philadelphia’s cap situation isn’t nearly as good, but they’ve shown a willingness to be creative and bold.
Of course, the Nashville Predators still can’t be ruled out, but things aren’t looking good for them. They’ve had plenty of time to make something work and if they aren’t able to lock him up before July 1, then it’s hard to see Suter choosing them over his alternates.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)