Jun 15, 2012, 9:41 AM EST
With the 2012 NHL Entry Draft rapidly approaching, Rick Nash‘s tenure with the Columbus Blue Jackets might be nearing its end.
Teams are likely to have significant interest in using draft picks as potential trade chips in a Nash deal. Additionally, any team that gets Nash around the draft will still have time to adjust their strategy for the free agent market.
According to the Columbus Dispatch’s NHL sources, up to seven teams have already expressed “significant” interest in Rick Nash over the last 10 days. There’s also another three or four that have “kicked the tires” to gauge what Nash would cost them.
The New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks, and Carolina Hurricanes are all believed to have considerable interest in Nash’s services. However, there’s also a real possibility that an overlooked contender might swoop in and wrestle Nash away from the Blue Jackets.
Columbus GM Scott Howson is hoping to get a big return for the face of their franchise. After a disastrous season, Howson needs this deal to represent a turning point. That’s not a simple task given Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit, but one way or another, we might not have to wait much longer to find out what Nash is worth to another team.
UPDATE: NHL.com reports the number of teams interested in Nash has now jumped to 10.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)