Jun 15, 2012, 9:41 AM EDT
With the 2012 NHL Entry Draft rapidly approaching, Rick Nash‘s tenure with the Columbus Blue Jackets might be nearing its end.
Teams are likely to have significant interest in using draft picks as potential trade chips in a Nash deal. Additionally, any team that gets Nash around the draft will still have time to adjust their strategy for the free agent market.
According to the Columbus Dispatch’s NHL sources, up to seven teams have already expressed “significant” interest in Rick Nash over the last 10 days. There’s also another three or four that have “kicked the tires” to gauge what Nash would cost them.
The New York Rangers, Toronto Maple Leafs, Philadelphia Flyers, San Jose Sharks, and Carolina Hurricanes are all believed to have considerable interest in Nash’s services. However, there’s also a real possibility that an overlooked contender might swoop in and wrestle Nash away from the Blue Jackets.
Columbus GM Scott Howson is hoping to get a big return for the face of their franchise. After a disastrous season, Howson needs this deal to represent a turning point. That’s not a simple task given Nash’s $7.8 million annual cap hit, but one way or another, we might not have to wait much longer to find out what Nash is worth to another team.
UPDATE: NHL.com reports the number of teams interested in Nash has now jumped to 10.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games