Jun 15, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT
According to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector, the Edmonton Oilers will indeed select first overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Spector — formerly of the Edmonton Journal, still with TEAM 1260 — reports the Oilers’ asking price for the No. 1 pick was simply too high for potential suitors, suggesting it would’ve taken a high-profile young defenseman (Jake Gardiner out of Toronto, P.K. Subban out of Montreal) to lure the pick away.
As for who Edmonton will take first…well, that decision is still up in the air. Spector reports GM Steve Tambellini will wait until the last moment — either Thursday night or Friday morning — to figure out which player he’ll take.
Sarnia Sting forward Nail Yakupov, the No.1 ranked North American skater, visited Edmonton in early June. Yakupov scored 31G-38A-69PTS in just 42 games this season, missing a significant chunk of time to a knee injury.
The Oilers are also believed to covet WHL Everett defenseman Ryan Murray, who played for Team Canada at the World Hockey Championships under the eye of GM and Oilers president Kevin Lowe.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 25
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)