Jun 15, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT
According to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector, the Edmonton Oilers will indeed select first overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Spector — formerly of the Edmonton Journal, still with TEAM 1260 — reports the Oilers’ asking price for the No. 1 pick was simply too high for potential suitors, suggesting it would’ve taken a high-profile young defenseman (Jake Gardiner out of Toronto, P.K. Subban out of Montreal) to lure the pick away.
As for who Edmonton will take first…well, that decision is still up in the air. Spector reports GM Steve Tambellini will wait until the last moment — either Thursday night or Friday morning — to figure out which player he’ll take.
Sarnia Sting forward Nail Yakupov, the No.1 ranked North American skater, visited Edmonton in early June. Yakupov scored 31G-38A-69PTS in just 42 games this season, missing a significant chunk of time to a knee injury.
The Oilers are also believed to covet WHL Everett defenseman Ryan Murray, who played for Team Canada at the World Hockey Championships under the eye of GM and Oilers president Kevin Lowe.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 23
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)