Jun 15, 2012, 1:57 PM EST
According to Sportsnet’s Mark Spector, the Edmonton Oilers will indeed select first overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Spector — formerly of the Edmonton Journal, still with TEAM 1260 — reports the Oilers’ asking price for the No. 1 pick was simply too high for potential suitors, suggesting it would’ve taken a high-profile young defenseman (Jake Gardiner out of Toronto, P.K. Subban out of Montreal) to lure the pick away.
As for who Edmonton will take first…well, that decision is still up in the air. Spector reports GM Steve Tambellini will wait until the last moment — either Thursday night or Friday morning — to figure out which player he’ll take.
Sarnia Sting forward Nail Yakupov, the No.1 ranked North American skater, visited Edmonton in early June. Yakupov scored 31G-38A-69PTS in just 42 games this season, missing a significant chunk of time to a knee injury.
The Oilers are also believed to covet WHL Everett defenseman Ryan Murray, who played for Team Canada at the World Hockey Championships under the eye of GM and Oilers president Kevin Lowe.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)