Jun 15, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
The cost was significant, but the potential reward makes a lot of sense from the Tampa Bay Lightning’s perspective.
“We are very pleased to announce this trade today,” Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said. “We believe Anders will join the team and give us a nice lift at the goaltending position as we prepare for the 2012-13 season. He has the potential to develop into the No. 1 goaltender we covet.”
Barring another move by the Lightning, Lindback should get a shot to compete for the starting job in 2012-13, although he might initially split time with Mathieu Garon. Lindback doesn’t have much NHL experience, but he certainly has plenty of upside.
This deal pretty much fits the textbook definition of what a trade should be. Nashville didn’t need Lindback with Pekka Rinne signed through the 2018-19 campaign. Rather than hold onto their promising young goaltender until he eventually left as an unrestricted free agent, they maximized their value by trading him to a team desperate for goaltending before the market started to sort itself out and eliminate potential suitors.
Unfortunately, this trade might end up being the highlight in an otherwise discouraging summer for Nashville.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)