Jun 15, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
The cost was significant, but the potential reward makes a lot of sense from the Tampa Bay Lightning’s perspective.
“We are very pleased to announce this trade today,” Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said. “We believe Anders will join the team and give us a nice lift at the goaltending position as we prepare for the 2012-13 season. He has the potential to develop into the No. 1 goaltender we covet.”
Barring another move by the Lightning, Lindback should get a shot to compete for the starting job in 2012-13, although he might initially split time with Mathieu Garon. Lindback doesn’t have much NHL experience, but he certainly has plenty of upside.
This deal pretty much fits the textbook definition of what a trade should be. Nashville didn’t need Lindback with Pekka Rinne signed through the 2018-19 campaign. Rather than hold onto their promising young goaltender until he eventually left as an unrestricted free agent, they maximized their value by trading him to a team desperate for goaltending before the market started to sort itself out and eliminate potential suitors.
Unfortunately, this trade might end up being the highlight in an otherwise discouraging summer for Nashville.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 27
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 11
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)