Jun 15, 2012, 6:44 PM EDT
The cost was significant, but the potential reward makes a lot of sense from the Tampa Bay Lightning’s perspective.
“We are very pleased to announce this trade today,” Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said. “We believe Anders will join the team and give us a nice lift at the goaltending position as we prepare for the 2012-13 season. He has the potential to develop into the No. 1 goaltender we covet.”
Barring another move by the Lightning, Lindback should get a shot to compete for the starting job in 2012-13, although he might initially split time with Mathieu Garon. Lindback doesn’t have much NHL experience, but he certainly has plenty of upside.
This deal pretty much fits the textbook definition of what a trade should be. Nashville didn’t need Lindback with Pekka Rinne signed through the 2018-19 campaign. Rather than hold onto their promising young goaltender until he eventually left as an unrestricted free agent, they maximized their value by trading him to a team desperate for goaltending before the market started to sort itself out and eliminate potential suitors.
Unfortunately, this trade might end up being the highlight in an otherwise discouraging summer for Nashville.
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 7
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)