Jun 15, 2012, 8:07 AM EDT
Mike Green is scheduled to become a restricted free agent after completing his four-year/$21 million contract, but it wasn’t a foregone conclusion that the Washington Capitals would give him a qualifying offer.
Green’s stock has fallen significantly after back-to-back injury-riddled seasons. All the same, the size of a qualifying offer is determined by your previous salary. In Green’s case, that meant the Capitals had to present Green with a $5 million offer in order to retain his rights.
In the end, they opted to give Green a qualifying offer. It wouldn’t be surprising if he simply accepted it and used the one-year contract to prove himself before seeking a long-term deal.
From Washington’s perspective, it certainly helps that they’re projected to have quite a bit of cap flexibility anyways. According to Cap Geek, they currently have $45,032,349 committed to 17 players. In other words, they can afford to add Green at $5 million and still have room to make a significant addition this summer.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)