Jun 15, 2012, 7:19 PM EST
With just 92 days left until the current NHL CBA expires, many are already fretting about the possibility of a work stoppage.
Peter Chiarelli is not one of those people.
The Bruins GM spoke with CSNNE.com today and seemed optimistic that negotiations would allow for the 2012-13 season to start on time.
“Maybe I’m an eternal optimist on this stuff, but I think there will be no time missed,” said Chiarelli. “I hope we’ve learned from our last go-round. We always try to improve it, but I think the [NHL] product is pretty good.”
Unlike most, Chiarelli sees the presence of NHLPA head honcho Donal Fehr as a good thing. While many look back at Fehr’s history with dread — most notably his time with Major League Baseball players association — Chiarelli sees his experience as a positive factor.
“I don’t know Fehr aside from what I’ve seen of him in the past, but I think he’s a deal-maker,” said Chiarelli. “I know he does his job. I hope the two sides get together soon, but I’m an optimist.”
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 20
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)